Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barricade question:

badchad

Say you are shooting all your shots around one side of a barricade. For example a short course or the last position in a long course and you don’t have any concerns about leaving the box to go somewhere else. Also assume you decide to shoot the targets from out to in.

Is it best to lean all the way over from the start so you can see all the targets at once, or is it better to lean out the most comfortable distance for each target creeping a bit further with the body for each target?

I imagine the trade offs are faster transitions due to better visibility and transitioning from an unmoving but most awkward position for the first technique, while the latter requires more trunk motion between shots has less visibility, but your in the awkward position for only your last shot.

Any variables that would made you choose each technique but in different situations, or make you go in to out anyway?

Say you are shooting all your shots around one side of a barricade. For example a short course or the last position in a long course and you don’t have any concerns about leaving the box to go somewhere else. Also assume you decide to shoot the targets from out to in.

Is it best to lean all the way over from the start so you can see all the targets at once, or is it better to lean out the most comfortable distance for each target creeping a bit further with the body for each target?

I imagine the trade offs are faster transitions due to better visibility and transitioning from an unmoving but most awkward position for the first technique, while the latter requires more trunk motion between shots has less visibility, but your in the awkward position for only your last shot.

Any variables that would made you choose each technique but in different situations, or make you go in to out anyway?

It depends on if there is an entry or exit target available. If I can engage a target entering the position, I'll shoot the array from that direction. If I can't hit it on the entry, but there is a close target available once I'm in position, I'll work towards that target and try to start moving on the last shot. Otherwise, I would prefer to end on the side opposite of my next movement, so that I can begin to lean out as I work across the array.

H.

Make sure that the target you are going to transition to, is there to be seen.

If you have to move to see the next target, it will slow you down tremendously.

Beyond that, having targets visable that are a few transitions away from what you are shooting now, does not help a lot.

If you have to move to see the next target, it will slow you down tremendously.

+1

You'll have to see what you are up against. There is a difference between a bit more lean and a shift.

I always want to hit a position such that I don't have to shift while transitioning between targets. (think narrow ports and window, etc.) A shift...time wise...is almost like a new position.

As a general guideline for scenarios like that, I would position myself initially so I can see one or more targets "ahead" peripherally of the first target, as I'm shooting it.

One example - If when rehearsing the scenario, when setting up on the first target, be sure you can see the second and mabye the third target without moving your body.

Or say there are 4 targets you will shoot of one side of the barricade. Depending on how the targets are set up, sometimes just the amount you will index to each target may bring the next target into your peripheral vision.

Or another way to think about it - In this types of scenarios you are always trying to balance: preserving your normal (non-barricade) index position, getting set up so can transition to each target as quickly as possible. And you'll usually be sacrificing one for the other. Who gets sacrificed depends on many factors, one being how easy vs. difficult the shots are.

be

We could look at this in reverse; what would be the perfect entry/shoot/exit scenario? You would be able to shoot As on a target while settling in, once settled you would be able to shoot all targets available in the position without shifting, and you would be able to leave while engaging the final target, shooting As.

Just set up your run to acheive as many of those things as possible.

H.

So even if it takes a little extra time going in to set up your target to target time will make up for it?

In short, yes. There are circumstances like Brian mentions where the targets are only slightly out of vision, and moving across the array will bring them into vision, but in general if you have to move to get a new target, either you're shifting weight or moving feet, which are slow or disruptive, respectively.

This can also apply to shooting on the move, I believe TGO did some testing and found that in a lot of situations it's better to just run up and get set rather than try to shoot on the move.

H.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your Knees are bent more than usual to lower your center of gravity (sometimes it may not be possible though). Try to see as many targets as is possible while staying stable. Then flexing your bent knees go around the barricade and get the rest as visible.

Remember though that Safety overrides Time.