Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the dumbest thing your company does?

I work for the Govt. of CA.......................'Nuf Said :devil:

Changed my mind and didn't feel like venting.

Wow! It took less than a minute for the CA Govt. to convince Modoc of the error of his ways and have him edit his original post!

(and they say government isn't efficient....)

The concrete and aggregates company I work for is owned by a conglomerate from the mainland. They own mainly manufacturing entities related to the construction industry. Why are they in mining? Your guess is as good as mine. Unfortunately, being run under a manufacturing business model doesn't necessarily suit a rock mining outfit that mines some of the toughest stuff out there as far as aggregates go...volcanic basalt. What'd'ya mean twenty year old equipment can't be repaired within our current maintenance budget? Those Cats are supposed to last FOREVER....

Which leads me to the one thing I've wondered about equipment replacement and cost accounting (since we are forever hearing the whining about maintenance costs)...if you NEVER replace your equipment when the maintenance costs that you are so careful to keep track of tell you to because they've exceeded by leaps and bounds what a new machine would cost...why bother keeping track of the costs? Save a lot of money not having all that non-productive payroll lounging around in air conditioned offices.

Out here (echoing HSMITH) in our pidgin vernacular we say "Da boss, he stay dakine lolo, so worried he like spend dollah fo' save nickel."

I hate to say it but I like my job, i get paid well enough, I have seen my boss once this year. So I can't think of anything dumb they do. But if they do something dumb I will edit this post later. I have worked for plenty of companies that are as bad or worse than what I have seen on here, which makes me appreciate my job all the more.

Now that I have said this due to the market conditions my company will go out of business next week!

Wow! It took less than a minute for the CA Govt. to convince Modoc of the error of his ways and have him edit his original post!

(and they say government isn't efficient....)

NAHH, Just decided that I did not want spend the bandwidth and I still would have been typing at this time stamp :rolleyes:

They do some Interesting things, but I do enjoy my job. It is a lot like being an architect who specializes in remodels, who knows what you will find when you open up the road bed (Jimmy Hoffa anyone?).

My favorite was the f- employee who ran a forklift into and penetrated the wing of the large cargo aircraft which was being unloaded. She of course was promoted to a Supervisory position.

That carrier is now two or three "reorganizations" past the incident. Now I expect that sort of thing but back then it was a surprise.

• 2 years later...

One company I contract for through the company I work for, has us write a detailed Method of Procedure before any work starts, in their Electronic Job Folder, which we then must submit to them for approval. Once it's approved, we then have to write the same thing in another of their EJF's, and send it back in for approval, once again, before we can start work. So, you end up writing an MOP, getting it approved, then writing an AOTS CR (I won't give you what the acronym stands for, or you guys will figure out who I'm talking about!), in which you have to fill out all the same info, then attach the approved MOP to the AOTS CR, and send it back in for approval....All this so that their employess can have something to charge their time to, cause they don't want to update their original EJF for that function. As I write this, I'm sitting in one of their offices, getting paid time & 1/2, to watch battery cells charge, cause they want a record of the cell (voltage, temp, current) every hour on the hour while the new cells are charging....

I have a meter that does that automatically. Wanna borrow it? :P

Does it also automatically read the specific gravity of the electrolyte in the cell and publish it to an excel spreadsheet? If it does, tell me where I can buy 50 of them..... :cheers: