Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 help - 9mm sticking

Bigpops

Hello all. I am looking for some advice. I have read manual, read the forum, tighten everything twice, measured twice.....well you get the idea. I keep looking for that one thing that I have missed to where I can say "ah sh@t"!

I reinstalled my 9mm toolhead, a complete toolhead, after loading up some 40 S&W rounds.

As I get started the brass wobbles out of station one (from the case feeder), requiring me to keep resetting the handle to get it to line up. Then as I cycle through everything goes smoothly until I go to install the primer. It primes about 75% of the time, and it feels very hard to do so. Sometimes it seems like the pressure required could discharge the primer.

Also, at station two the powder funnel seems to hang up on the case lip as I lower the base plate. This is felt and heard by an audible click.

Other than that...things are great! :rolleyes:

What bothers me is that the 9mm setup was perfect before I switched over to the 40....the 40's ran great....and now this.

Any ideas?

The yes's;

* I have the toolhead tight, pins installed.

* the dies are tight - EGW U die in sta. 1

* I reset the primer bar, cleaned, and checked alignment.

* I re-cleaned the shell plate and checked for security.

* I checked for proper belling of my cases

* I use once fired Winchester and a few new Remington brass - with WSP primers

* I have not been drinking! :cheers:

Hello all. I am looking for some advice. I have read manual, read the forum, tighten everything twice, measured twice.....well you get the idea. I keep looking for that one thing that I have missed to where I can say "ah sh@t"!

I reinstalled my 9mm toolhead, a complete toolhead, after loading up some 40 S&W rounds.

As I get started the brass wobbles out of station one (from the case feeder), requiring me to keep resetting the handle to get it to line up. Then as I cycle through everything goes smoothly until I go to install the primer. It primes about 75% of the time, and it feels very hard to do so. Sometimes it seems like the pressure required could discharge the primer.

Also, at station two the powder funnel seems to hang up on the case lip as I lower the base plate. This is felt and heard by an audible click.

What bothers me is that the 9mm setup was perfect before I switched over to the 40....the 40's ran great....and now this. Also, you need to keep that machine lubricated too... there's a thread around if you search. There are also many threads dealing with issues on the 550. You might turn something up in a search.

Any ideas?

The yes's;

Proper shell plate? Is it tight enough...? you need to go all the way tight and then just back off so it turns free.

Edited by JThompson

What bothers me is that the 9mm setup was perfect before I switched over to the 40....the 40's ran great....and now this.

Any ideas?

The yes's;

Proper shell plate? Is it tight enough...? you need to go all the way tight and then just back off so it turns free.

Thanks for the Saturday response - yes it is the correct one, yes it is tight.

is the case feed plunger pushing the has all the way in? primer cup high? try pulling the case feed plunger and ramp down and take it all apart and clean with degrease or like. often that stuff gets gunked up and th case pushes in at an angle wn the plngr plls bk u get this issue

Part of the problem with the expander may be the new brass - new brass will stick sometimes. Once-fired shouldn't.

If by Winchester brass you mean brass with a "WCC" headstamp, it's probably military surplus. It's great brass, once you ream/swage the primer pocket. If the primers are crimped in, you can cut out the crimp with a case mouth deburring tool. Hornady also makes a nice little tool just for this.

The shell plates for the 9x19 and the .40 S&W are the same, but the buttons aren't. You should have the #3 buttons in there for 9x19.

Part of the problem with the expander may be the new brass - new brass will stick sometimes. Once-fired shouldn't.

If by Winchester brass you mean brass with a "WCC" headstamp, it's probably military surplus. It's great brass, once you ream/swage the primer pocket. If the primers are crimped in, you can cut out the crimp with a case mouth deburring tool. Hornady also makes a nice little tool just for this.

The shell plates for the 9x19 and the .40 S&W are the same, but the buttons aren't. You should have the #3 buttons in there for 9x19.

The Winchester brass is once fired "white box" ammo. The Remington is new.

I have the #3 buttons installed.

I am beginning to wonder if my primer cup needs to be reset? I am stumped on my cases getting stuck?

The 40's load as smooth as butter when I put that head on!

I think you'd be on the right track disassembling the priming assembly and having a look-see at the priming cup specifically. I don't know what occurred when you switched between the 2 calibers, unless a spent primer or gunk/shaved brass has wedged itself somewhere it shouldn't be, and it will be plenty visible when you have the assembly clear of the machinefor inspection.

Primers that go BOOM on the press will ruin your day quickly, especially if loading in a concrete garage. Don't ask me how I know this... :blink:

I think you'd be on the right track disassembling the priming assembly and having a look-see at the priming cup specifically. I don't know what occurred when you switched between the 2 calibers, unless a spent primer or gunk/shaved brass has wedged itself somewhere it shouldn't be, and it will be plenty visible when you have the assembly clear of the machinefor inspection.

Primers that go BOOM on the press will ruin your day quickly, especially if loading in a concrete garage. Don't ask me how I know this... :blink:

lol...thanks for the laugh. This things has really been pissing me off.

Tonight I will disassemble one more time and check things out. Either that or I will stick to 40's and sell all of my 9mm! :roflol:

Tonight I will disassemble one more time and check things out. Either that or I will stick to 40's and sell all of my 9mm! :roflol:

Let me be the first to offer you an honest $20 for the 9mm gun and the Dillon die set! :rolleyes:

$20...wow that is tempting! :wacko:

Last night was interesting. I tore everything apart and cleaned it all up ( I mean EVERYTHING). I realigned my shell plate, adjusted my primer feed, and replaced any part that looked slightly worn.

End result - same crap while trying to reload the 9mm. Casefeed was terrible at best, primers were so rough to load that it felt as if they would explode. Brass sticks in station two to the point that it is felt in the handle and makes an audible clicking sound.

I then switched toolheads and reloaded 40's. Other than a couple hangups with the shells coming out of the case feeder things were very smooth.

Dillon...........are you reading any of this?

I will call when I have a chance but if anything comes to mind please jump in. Is there a chance that my shellplate is out of specs although my entire setup is fairly new? Could my toolhead be off? There just seems to be to many problems at once.

To clarify - all brass is once fired Winchester "white box" or new Remington.

OK... by doing what you did, you have indeed eliminated the priming system as the culprit.

I think you're definitely closer to the problem, but I have a question for you:

did you change the shellplate moving from 9MM to .40?

FYI, they use the same one, and there is no need at all to change it, just swap locator buttons, and adjust the cartridge retaining spring in front of station one to correctly hold the brass in place. ;)

If you didn't change it, but just changed locator buttons and adjusted the cartridge retaining spring you have isolated the problem to the toolhead/dies, as they should be the only other variable in the equation.

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Edited by ChrisStock

OK... by doing what you did, you have indeed eliminated the priming system as the culprit.

FYI, they use the same one, and there is no need at all to change it, just swap locator buttons, and adjust the cartridge retaining spring in front of station one to correctly hold the brass in place. ;)

If you didn't change it, but just changed locator buttons and adjusted the cartridge retaining spring you have isolated the problem to the toolhead/dies, as they should be the only other variable in the equation.

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Chrisstock,

I did not change the shellplate as I only have the one since both 40 and 9mm use the same. I did change the locator buttons. I have the casefeeder installed so no need for the springy thingy.

I have a feeling my toolhead is out of whack. I have tried EGW, Lee, and Dillon die's and continue to have the same problem. Like I said, it seems odd to have a primer, sizing, and belling problem all at the same time.

Misspelled??? I hear ya, I type like old people have sex!

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Chrisstock,

I did not change the shellplate as I only have the one since both 40 and 9mm use the same. I did change the locator buttons. I have the casefeeder installed so no need for the springy thingy.

I have a feeling my toolhead is out of whack. I have tried EGW, Lee, and Dillon die's and continue to have the same problem. Like I said, it seems odd to have a primer, sizing, and belling problem all at the same time.

It is possible the head was not in the jig properly when drilled, but seems very unlikely... how bad do you want to know? You have two tool heads right? :D You can measure them if you have the equipment, or you can bite the bullet, so to speak, and swap the dies out with the other head.

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Chrisstock,

It is possible the head was not in the jig properly when drilled, but seems very unlikely... how bad do you want to know? You have two tool heads right? :D You can measure them if you have the equipment, or you can bite the bullet, so to speak, and swap the dies out with the other head.

Wow...that would really suck! I have them both dialed in, especially the 40. But you make a good point.

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Chrisstock,

Wow...that would really suck! I have them both dialed in, especially the 40. But you make a good point.

Strike that idea... I went back and looked at the OP and you said the thing was running 9mm fine until you switched to 40 right? The primer seating issue bothers me in that even if you had other problems the primer shouldn't be that hard to seat which pushes me into looking really hard at brass. You used the alignment tool to align the primer hole with tool head etc. So let's assume that they alignment is right. If you don't have a crunch and a slight jump when starting your seat I would say the alignment is fine. That brings us back to brass. The more I think about the issues you are having the more I lean toward brass. Does the machine cycle freely without the powder funnel?

Do you have some old nasty brass that's been loaded a few times? Try it if you do. I really think you are dealing with a brass issue... I know I know, but that's what it "feels" like.

Edited by JThompson

Edited cuz I mizzspeeled

Chrisstock,

Strike that idea... I went back and looked at the OP and you said the thing was running 9mm fine until you switched to 40 right? The primer seating issue bothers me in that even if you had other problems the primer shouldn't be that hard to seat which pushes me into looking really hard at brass. You used the alignment tool to align the primer hole with tool head etc. So let's assume that they alignment is right. If you don't have a crunch and a slight jump when starting your seat I would say the alignment is fine. That brings us back to brass. The more I think about the issues you are having the more I lean toward brass. Does the machine cycle freely without the powder funnel?

Do you have some old nasty brass that's been loaded a few times? Try it if you do. I really think you are dealing with a brass issue... I know I know, but that's what it "feels" like.

Just to make sure I understand...are you saying to load some old brass and see if that works? I am willing to try anything but it would seem weird to only be able to reload old stuff and not new brass.

We are trying to troubleshoot here... don't worry about not being able to load new for now. If you have some 4-5 shots stuff try loading it and see if you still have the issues. If it clears we need to have a closer look at the new stuff you are working with. Try it and let me know....

We are trying to troubleshoot here... don't worry about not being able to load new for now. If you have some 4-5 shots stuff try loading it and see if you still have the issues. If it clears we need to have a closer look at the new stuff you are working with. Try it and let me know....

OK, will do. I'll hit up a buddy of mine for some old brass.