Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detachable Scope Rings?

Jack Suber

I bought my dream rifle this week - a Springfield Armory M1A. I have always wanted one. The rifle came with the government scope mount that allows the shooter to use both the scope and see beneath it to use the iron sights. I plan to try it out in 3-gun heavy metal. I realize I can't use a scope so I started thinking about these quick release mounts. Has anyone here used them and if so, what do you think and what brand do you recommend? I have a Burris Black Diamond and a couple of Weaver scopes I was thinking about puting on it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Here is a pic of the rifle:

post-950-1222484967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jack Suber

If you want quick detach, the LaRue or Warne suggestions are as good as any. But keep in mind that you are paying a lot "extra" for quick detach. Why not just use standard rings and remove them the slower with a tool way? Based on the increased cost of ammo you are going to have to pay to feed your new rifle, you might also want to consider thumbing to the match to save gas money. :D

By the way, since you now have this rifle, should I assume that you have also purchased what you needed to outfit you son for 3 Gun?

Thanks. Looks like I will try the Larue's.

Charles - John is almost set to go. I just need to get a tube for his 1100 20 ga. I have been delaying doing that until I am sure he likes shooting an over&under for doves. Anyway, his rifle is set-up (just puting a comp on it now). Pistols are taken care of. Just need to find a tube for the shotgun.

Yep. It is going to cost a lot to feed the M1A. However, I was planning on this several years ago. I have been acquiring tons of brass and have several 1000 bullets on hand. After I shoot all of the factory stuff I have, I will start loading.

LaRue or Warne (don't see where Warne sells for M1A) are the best IMHO! They are great supporters of the sport too!

I love the idea of quick detachable mounts/rings too but in the last 2 years have yet to move my LaRue/Meopta from where it is :-)

My experence with the ARMS and not so good. At 1st Special Forces Group we have had so many failures that we have tried to replaced almost all of them with LaRue. Of course the big Army still wants to replace the ARMS with ARMS but we don't want them! M-24s sniper systems are not that punishing of a round (308/7.62) but the shooters are a bit hard on them. Remember, they are just a tool.

Scott