Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA on Glock connecters.

Jman

It is an arms race. I know of several local shooters who have $1,500 in their setup..

Wow, how do you spend $1500 on a production set up?

I've got:

Used Glock 35 $450 (included a magwell, steel guide rod, and Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front sights...sweet deal!)

3 extra used mags $40

Blade-Tech DOH and double mag pouch $100

Stiff belt $30

Wolff spring kit $10

Stock 5lb connector $5

Tru-Grip $30

Total: $665 ...and I don't feel like I'm giving up anything at all.

Heck, even with an SP-01, I'd think that would only go up about $500-600.

Edited by mpolans

Easy.

Glock 34 with good sights, holster, belt, and mag pouches: $750

Bullets, powder, primers and brass for 8,000 rounds : $750

;)

Or, instead of reloading components, a second new 34, good sights, tru-grip, and a couple of minor parts.....

Easy.

Glock 34 with good sights, holster, belt, and mag pouches: $750

Bullets, powder, primers and brass for 8,000 rounds : $750

;)

Bullets, powder, primer and brass do not get included into the price. If so, you might as well add in the cost of the reloader and dies, and etc. So your bottom line PD gun setup cost you $750 - a more reasonable price than $1500.

BTW - can we get back to the connector situation as noted in the title of this thread?

Edited by racerba

I have received PM's regarding this issue. As mentioned I too feel John A. rendered an opinion not a ruling. When (if) the BOD acts I will comply. Until then my slippery LWD connector stays. What an amazing can of worms this could be. Hope not.

Jim

I was talking a BOD member the other day and asked his opinion of this. He said the plan with the new rules was to make them easier to enforce, not harder. As in the guns should be checked externally but should not require an internal examination by a gunsmith or at the Chrono to be determined legal. His take was Amidon's opinion is not what was intended by the rule. We'll see what happens next.

Although how it would be enforced would be interesting.

JK

I had a conversation with one of the rules writers recently --- the person who actually wrote most of the verbiage. If I understood him correctly, the intent was to allow replacement of parts inside the gun specifically so that the enforcement problem wouldn't exist. Modify the outside --- and ROs can spot that at make ready, or chrono can when they shoot the gun. Modify the inside --- nobody's got time to tear down guns....

USPSA was founded on the principle of seeing what guns, gear and shooters it would take to win. Since we figured out that it was an open blaster in the early 90s, we've refined the question a few times --- what does it take if the gun can't have optics, ports or comps and is limited to 140mm mags? What does it take if it's a BRT that has to reload after every six shots, and that needs .40 to make major, all without ports, comps or optics? What does it take if it looks externally like something out of the showcase, limited to ten rounds in the mag, scored minor, with no ports, comps, or optics.....

People talk about an arms race like it's a bad thing --- but I (and probably most of us if we're not setting up to shoot four divisions and 3 gun in the same year) spend more money on components, travel and match fees than we do on guns or parts.....

Can people spend $1500 on a Glock to compete in production division? Sure --- but they're not going to beat Micah, Flex, Dave, or Bob Vogel because of the money spent. And if they're beating you --- then it's because they're practicing more than you.....

Although how it would be enforced would be interesting.

JK

I had a conversation with one of the rules writers recently --- the person who actually wrote most of the verbiage. If I understood him correctly, the intent was to allow replacement of parts inside the gun specifically so that the enforcement problem wouldn't exist. Modify the outside --- and ROs can spot that at make ready, or chrono can when they shoot the gun. Modify the inside --- nobody's got time to tear down guns....

USPSA was founded on the principle of seeing what guns, gear and shooters it would take to win. Since we figured out that it was an open blaster in the early 90s, we've refined the question a few times --- what does it take if the gun can't have optics, ports or comps and is limited to 140mm mags? What does it take if it's a BRT that has to reload after every six shots, and that needs .40 to make major, all without ports, comps or optics? What does it take if it looks externally like something out of the showcase, limited to ten rounds in the mag, scored minor, with no ports, comps, or optics.....

People talk about an arms race like it's a bad thing --- but I (and probably most of us if we're not setting up to shoot four divisions and 3 gun in the same year) spend more money on components, travel and match fees than we do on guns or parts.....

Can people spend $1500 on a Glock to compete in production division? Sure --- but they're not going to beat Micah, Flex, Dave, or Bob Vogel because of the money spent. And if they're beating you --- then it's because they're practicing more than you.....

Ah, yes, there it is. Truth.