Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slam loading

hal1955

From slide locked back, I can slam a mag into my CZ or my Glock and the and the slide will go forward and chamber a round by itself but my Tan stock II will not. Does anyone know why?And how can I make the Tan slam load?

From slide locked back, I can slam a mag into my CZ or my Glock and the and the slide will go forward and chamber a round by itself but my Tan stock II will not. Does anyone know why?And how can I make the Tan slam load?

its normally just from a worn slide lock pin, if you sand or grind a small about of metal from the catch on the slide lock it wont lock back as well (making it slip over the catch area by bumping the gun). the only downfall is. if you take too much off the catch, the slide wont lock back at all.

My Limited custom locks the slide when a slam a mag in.

My Limited Custom does this sometimes, not always. However you need to be careful on this as in one match I got a warning for a possible unsafe gun.

It obviously depends on the RO on the day etc but it may pay to leave it as otherwise questions may be asked when you don't want them to be!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Assuming you're right handed, just wipe the slide release off with your weak side thumb as you push the gun out to target after the reload. It doesn't cost you any time, and it is consistent. If you're left handed, you do it with the index finger of the weak hand.

generally they will slam-load when the slide stop (or the slide stop notch in the slide) gets a little worn. It's not necessarily desirable.

my Stock II will do it with Baby Eagle mags but not Tanfoglio mags, no matter which ones, evil 17 rounders or the lame laser cut 10 rounders (the 17's are internally pinned). from what I can tell the difference is how the mag seats. the Tan mags seat only on the mag catch cut, whereas the Baby Eagle mags actually bottom out and the basepad hits the frame. I played around with some spacers on the factory mags and achieved the same thing, and the slide went forward on insertion. Being so used to my Beretta doing it, it took me a long time to get used to hitting the slide release, but I am fairly used to it now. I do prefer the auto slide though. But as Rob says it's not always wanted as I've seen the odd slide go forward a little early and not strip a round.

As for an RO calling it unsafe, I'd wait until he was done yapping and then smack him up the side of the head. That's not even a call an RO should be considering. some ROs are morons.

my Stock II will do it with Baby Eagle mags but not Tanfoglio mags, no matter which ones, evil 17 rounders or the lame laser cut 10 rounders (the 17's are internally pinned). from what I can tell the difference is how the mag seats. the Tan mags seat only on the mag catch cut, whereas the Baby Eagle mags actually bottom out and the basepad hits the frame. I played around with some spacers on the factory mags and achieved the same thing, and the slide went forward on insertion. Being so used to my Beretta doing it, it took me a long time to get used to hitting the slide release, but I am fairly used to it now. I do prefer the auto slide though. But as Rob says it's not always wanted as I've seen the odd slide go forward a little early and not strip a round.

As for an RO calling it unsafe, I'd wait until he was done yapping and then smack him up the side of the head. That's not even a call an RO should be considering. some ROs are morons.

I agree some RO's are morons but its hard to argue with them when they can send you home!!! Yes is was might p****d but held my tongue I still had half the match to go!!

FWIW - I think all my HK handguns release the slide when slamming mag in. I think it is a great feature and wish all in my current stable would...doesn't seem to be an unsafe issue with those.

I wouldn't call it unsafe, but it's a great way to have the slide go forward and not strip a round...seen it happen on a variety of different guns. In a match gun it's not a big deal as all it can do is cost you the stage/match, but in real life I'd be worried. R,

FWIW - I think all my HK handguns release the slide when slamming mag in. I think it is a great feature and wish all in my current stable would...doesn't seem to be an unsafe issue with those.

Of course, in IDPA slide-lock shooting is a matter of routine, but in an IPSC gun you DON'T want it to lock open...ever. Because if it can it will, at an important match, when you really really don't want it to. It's a natural law.

I have found that my Stock II will slam load now with the factory aluminum base pads because the pad does touch the frame when I slam it up.

Some guns will slam load and some will not, even amongst the same model from the same manufacturer. It is not a design feature of any gun. Your particular gun will either do it, or it will not.

Mick