Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor Clays 180 Load

Lumpy McSoo

Hello,

I have a sanctioned IDPA match this weekend and I just started to pack my range bag and I am all out of my minor 40 cal loads and powder. I have "regular" Clays and was going to use that.

Case: Mixed, a lot of Winchester but others as well

Primer: MagTec Small Pistol

Powder: 3.0 grains of Clays (book says 3.0 grs, 727 fps out of 4 inch barrel, COL 1.125 inch, but I don't always believe the books)

Bullet: Hornady HAP (similar to XTP)

COL: 1.125 inches

Crimp: 3/4 of turn past contact with Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

I am shooting SSP division with a G-35 with a Microlon (teflon) treated Bar-Sto barrel. Supposedly the Microlon should also increase the muzzle velocity but I haven't been able to test it with a chronograph. I just need to know if this will cycle the stock recoil spring since I may not have time to test the load before the match.

Will this function fine in my stock springed G-35? Will I still make Minor PF? Will the load be accurate at the lower velocities? Should I crank it up to 3.3 grains just to make sure I hit PF? Should I use my AA #2 instead for a minor load?

Yes, I have searched with the search function but between changing diapers and work I don't have much time to peruse the posts so thanks for any useful help.

Thanks, Lumpy.

Lumpy,

That load might be border line in my G35 stock recoil assembly as far as cycling goes. I used a 3.3gr Clays load for .40 minor in my gun and it was sweet. Of course (disclaimer) it could destroy your gun and everything you love so.....I might suggest a box or two of 165gr WWB Value Pak from Wally World until you have the time to assemble your match loads normally.

Jim

Hello,

I have a sanctioned IDPA match this weekend and I just started to pack my range bag and I am all out of my minor 40 cal loads and powder. I have "regular" Clays and was going to use that.

Case: Mixed, a lot of Winchester but others as well

Primer: MagTec Small Pistol

Powder: 3.0 grains of Clays (book says 3.0 grs, 727 fps out of 4 inch barrel, COL 1.125 inch, but I don't always believe the books)

Bullet: Hornady HAP (similar to XTP)

COL: 1.125 inches

Crimp: 3/4 of turn past contact with Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

I am shooting SSP division with a G-35 with a Microlon (teflon) treated Bar-Sto barrel. Supposedly the Microlon should also increase the muzzle velocity but I haven't been able to test it with a chronograph. I just need to know if this will cycle the stock recoil spring since I may not have time to test the load before the match.

Will this function fine in my stock springed G-35? Will I still make Minor PF? Will the load be accurate at the lower velocities? Should I crank it up to 3.3 grains just to make sure I hit PF? Should I use my AA #2 instead for a minor load?

Yes, I have searched with the search function but between changing diapers and work I don't have much time to peruse the posts so thanks for any useful help.

Thanks, Lumpy.

In my G35.. (I think I did drop one spring weight- honestly can't remember)

3.0 Clays gives me avg 760fps (SD 12.7) - With Win Small Rifle Primers

With Federal Pistol primers.. I went to 3.1 - and get avg 773fps (SD 10.0) - and that's my current minor load

Of the powders I've tried.. Clays for Minor is great.. I wouldn't change.

I've tried 3.0-3.5 and it all cycled out of my stock G35, however up til about 3.2gr of clays the shells just trickle out of the gun and land at your feet. I also had trouble with the gun not locking open on the last round, BUT that could have also been because of my grip holding down the slide release. I'm not sure, I only had 10 rounds of each that I tested. I usually load 3.3gr and the shells land about 2 feet out, slide locks open and in my gun I think it was going about 780fps so 140 PF about, plednty of room. I was shooting Berry's plated 180gr bullets for what it's worth. I'm not sure how those compare to jacketed.

Oh and Winchester Small Pistol Primers, mixed brass, Berry's 180 FP DS plated bullet, 3.3gr clays, loaded to right around 1.135 COAL

I know the OAL is at max, but thats where I set my dies up at, it runs in my glock mags and I havn't had any trouble so I see no reason to change it.

I had an interesting experience with this load shooting USPSA in a stage. I was shooting through a barrel and somehow the shell ejected, hit the side of the barrel and came back just in time to land and balance flat on the top of the G35 barrel :surprise: I shook it off before firing my next shot and continued the stage, but when I was all done, even the RO had to comment that it was a hell of a trick B)

Edited by MustangGreg66

Thanks everyone,

I will load up some at 3.1 grains and try and get to an indoor range for a few minutes on Thursday just to check function. If not, I think I will do the WWB option. I have been wanting to go to Clays for minor since I have a bit of it from my skeet shooting days.

Thanks again, Lumpy.

Well,

Here are the preliminary results.

Clays 3.0 granis, I adjusted powder and it went to 3.0 nine times and 3.1 once. I figured for Clays metering, that is consistent and I was happy with the reproducability.

Clays 3.0 grains

180 grain Hornady HAP (similar to XTP) JHP

Mag Tec small pistol primer

Mixed brass

COL 1.125 inches

It cycled standard G-35 fine with the Microlon treated Bar-Sto barrel. It threw the brass a little ways but not much. Accuracy was good enough for IDPA. I was able to keep 10 shots in the head of an IDPA target at 15 yards offhand (but using both hands). Dead on at 0-15 yards. I was able to keep 9 of 10 in the -0 center of an IDPA target off hand at 25 yards as well. Bad trigger control on the flier plus the POI was about 4 inches high, imagine that. Aim at the bottom of the circle and it goes in the middle of it at 25 yards. Didn't chronograph or bench rest it yet and I may not, depends on how much time I can get.

Seems to be a great minor load. Now I just need to chronograph it to guarantee that I am making minor PF. My guess is close to 750 fps which is well above minor PF.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Later, Lumpy

FWIW

I use clays for minor out of my G35 with a Lone Wolf Barrel.

3.0 grains of Clays

180 grain TC Bear Creek moly bullets

1.120 OAL

Win small pistol primers

mixed brass

Average Vel. 811 fps

PF: 146

Standard Dev. 9 fps

Springs:

15 lb ISMI recoil spring on stock guide rod

Stock trigger spring

Wolff reduced power striker and plunger spring

I use 2.5 gr of Clays with a 180 BC bullet OAL is 1.140" - 728 fps.

2.8 with a 180 gr Precision jacketed bullet goes 726 fps. out of a G35 with stock barrel.

On a side note my stock barrel requires more powder to make Major than my Lone Wolf barrel. Have not figured that one out yet.

The 2.5 gr load my be pushing the bottom limit as far as case seal in the chamber. I have had a couple of "soft" discharges. The bottom limit with Titegroup was 3.2 gr. Anything below that would not always seal the chamber.

I will most likely bump the 2.5 up to 2.6.

Forgot to mention I use a 13# spring for Major and Minor.

Edited by Joe D