Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Open gun problem

open17

Do you have a picture of the "Glock slide tightening tool" ??? I can't seem to find it, in the Brownells catalog.

Glad you got it fixed... nothing worse than a Women with a gun, that will not run.

Has the slide been tightened to the rails?

Yes--but it appears to have loosened up a bit from when I originally built the gun 5 years

ago. You thinking inconsistent striker release?

Bingo--we have a winner. Slide was looser than I thought. Gun has a HUGE side racker on it--probably accelerated the slide wear. Didn't look bad up-down or side to side--but it would

actually ROLL on the frame. Looks like it would sometimes release the striker a bit early

and cause a light strike.

A few hearty whacks with the "Glock slide tightening tool" ------trigger got nice and crisp again,

and she shot a match today with ZERO light strikes.

Bill

Do you have a picture of the "Glock slide tightening tool" ??? I can't seem to find it, in the Brownells catalog.

Glad you got it fixed... nothing worse than a Women with a gun, that will not run.

...aka BFH :roflol:

sledgehammer.jpg

Page 45 in catalog 61. Brownell's part # 956-000-001AB :closedeyes:

Has the slide been tightened to the rails?

Yes--but it appears to have loosened up a bit from when I originally built the gun 5 years

ago. You thinking inconsistent striker release?

Bingo--we have a winner. Slide was looser than I thought. Gun has a HUGE side racker on it--probably accelerated the slide wear. Didn't look bad up-down or side to side--but it would

actually ROLL on the frame. Looks like it would sometimes release the striker a bit early

and cause a light strike.

A few hearty whacks with the "Glock slide tightening tool" ------trigger got nice and crisp again,

and she shot a match today with ZERO light strikes.

Bill

Interesting. That gun is probably on the edge of having everything work "just right".

I'm amazed that the stock striker spring didn't fix (mask?) the problem.

You'd think that if the uber-light spring needed just a teensy bit more travel before releasing to have enough force, the heavy stock spring with a flyweight striker would have worked fine - there should have been plenty of energy, even when short-stroked.

Theoretically. Damn guns like to ignore that kind of stuff.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

[

Interesting. That gun is probably on the edge of having everything work "just right".

Yes---it took a bit of fiddling to get it to run for the wife. She has absolutely TINY hands.

Shops for gloves in the kiddy section. The gun has a reduced grip, lightened slide,

a weight on the rail to bring it up to about 33 oz. I can hold it with two fingers and

it runs 110%--even upside down. She shoots it, and if everything isn't just right,

it will puke in various and interesting ways. But she LIKES it---purple A-grip and all.

Attempts at switching her to another platform haven't been met with much enthusiam.

With that in mind...

I wonder...if sucking the slide down allowed for the safety plunger to be better pushed out of the way, ensuring that it wasn't in the path of the striker to rob energy?

With that in mind...

I wonder...if sucking the slide down allowed for the safety plunger to be better pushed out of the way, ensuring that it wasn't in the path of the striker to rob energy?

Hmmm----Might have. I tried several plungers, and one of the strikers DID have a little

burr from hitting the plunger. Could have been a combination of early striker release AND

bumping the safety plunger with the striker.

Something I didn't mention---the gun ran 100% for no light strikes last week, but it had

another annoying glitch after I tightened the slide. It short stroked a couple of times.

Figured it out last night (I think). Built the gun around 5 year ago, but the current barrel has

only been in there a couple of years. When I tightened (lowered) the slide, the barrel lug

got a little too tight on the locking block. I took .006" off of the lug last night---function

tested it today--all OK. We will find out for sure when wife shoots a match with it

tomorrow.