Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan SP2

Gunnut

I am thinking about using SP2 in my new open gun when it arrives. A search turned up a limited number of mixed reviews. A few shooters found it just great and a few complained about it being too fine and hard to reload with.

I would like to hear other experiences anyone has had with SP2 and learn it's characteristics.  Does it shoot softer and flater than 3n37 or n350? Is dealing with SP2 not worth the trouble and should I just go with one of the VV powders? My gun is a 5 chamber comp without hybrid or blow holes.

Thanks, Ed.

I tried SP-2 out of my Dillon 650 and the stuff was all over the place!  Literally!  You could see it coming out on top of the sliding powder bar and landing all over the bench.  Super fine... and I don't mean shooting.  My velocity spread was wild at 80-100 fps hi-low on the chrono.  I'd sugest avoiding the hassle and run with VV3n37 or VV3n38 or IMR 7625 depending on what powder burn rate you like.

SP-2 works fine in my 650 (as well as a SBD that I had) and in my Open gun.

I would guess that if it were spilling, then it would be hard to get much consistancy in the loads (which may account for the velocity variation that BamBam spoke of).

Arredondo makes a replacement (polymer) powder bar for Dillon powder measures specifically to deal with the SP2 problem described by BamBam and others.  I used one for a while on a SDB with AA#7, when that powder started leaking out everywhere.  It worked as advertised and was accurate ---- but I only loaded a couple of thousand rounds with it before switching powders and presses.....

Nik is on the money - buy the arrendondo. I think soem of our European friends also had solved the problem by coating a dillon charge bar w/ teflon or something. But since arrendondo sells the fix and could get it to you via overnight, buy theirs.

I actually tried the arredondo fix and was no better off with SP-2 in my press.  Maybe the powder drop is a little out of spec, but it was easier just to move on to another powder.  For me there is only one choice in presses (Dillon) but many powders that can do the job.  If nothing else, I got the nice little adjustment wheel now with the Arredondo slide!

Thanks for the response.  It appears that the reviews are mixed on the SP2. I think I will take Bam Bam's advice and move on to another powder. I don't think the risk of SP2  working in my Square Deal is worth the savings. I would hate to get stuck with a quantity of powder I can't use.

Now is it going to be 3n37 or N350?

Thanks, Ed.

I forget where I saw it but there was just recently some email and posts that either Vectan powder in general or SP2 will not longer be imported. The people I know who use it are buying up every bit they can get their hands on.

I'd get a definitive answer on that before I'd commit to it.

Graf and Sons had it, dont know if still in stock.  If and when I go back to shooting open(open gun set up for steel right now) I will be loading SP2.  I shot over 8lbs of it using 125 and 122 lfps in 9x23 for major, and in 10mm pin loads also.  Great stuff, and you can make some mondo fast 9x23 loads with it at lower pressures also.  

My experience with it in my 1050.  I found that you could use the stock Dillon powder bar, but the Arrendando unit works much better.  It is kinda beat up after about 8lbs of SP2 and another 20lbs of other powders.  It is cheap enough to get for the SP2, and I recommend it.  Is it perfect, Probably not, but it does work substantially better with the SP2.  Good luck and give it a try.

SP2 worked grat for me. It has less volume, thus produces less gas, but I found it to be very consistant, if you have problems with it leaking through your press it sound like you need to talk to Dillon and fix your press. I used it in my Square Deal and then 1050 and no problems. The reason I liked it is that it was very consistant for me and didn't spill out of the case like VV. I just like to load fast and it doesn't fill the case near as full, but it is very dirty to shoot compared to VV.