Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180G LEAD 40 LOAD FOR STEEL WITH 125+ PF

GARD72977

• 2 weeks later...
I have used 3.2 to 3.6 gr. WST behind the 180 gr LTC bulets.

I have been shooting 180 gr Moly's at minor about 139 pf, using 3 gr of bullseye, loaded at 1.12, very soft in my SS40. Low smoke and very accurate!

Tom Drazy

3.5 gr of Solo1000 under a 170 gr lswc has been a delight to shoot at about 132 PF, very little smoke, accurate and soft. I'd think it would be the same with a 180 gr lead, might even drop th powder some.

Edited by ben b.

• 2 weeks later...
I use 180 lead with 3.5 of tightgroup at an OAL of 1.135. Has a power factor of 135 and is very accurate in my Brazos .40 and EAA limited.

I've been loading for a lot longer than I'd like to admit but right up front I'll fess up that I'm new to .40. That out of the way, I just finished wringing out several minor loads all using, Ranier 180 RN/FP's @ 1.125. FWIW, 3.5 TG (and, I'm not a big TG fan) was pick of the litter. Best groups (even did very well @ 25 benched) and nice, soft recoil track. The other loads tested along these lines were 3.3 grains Clays and 3.9 grains WST. All functioned a G-35 with stock spring fine...of the 3, the Clays load shot sweet but produced the largest groups - The WST load shot nearly as well as TG but (sorry), I just can't get past the smell shooting indoors.

I use 3.4 to 3.6 gr. of WST, a nice clean burning and mild load.

I need a good load for 40S&W. I have a lot of 180g lead bullets and need to make at least 125+ PF. Looking for clean medium burn rate powder. bullets are not very hard. What is your idea of a good load?