Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scope

RH45

I started out with a Leupold 1-4 for 3 gun games, but, I found that I never turned it below 3 power, and on long range targets that were in the shadows, the targets were hard to find.

I put on a Weaver 2-10 and it helped a little, but, the picture isn't nearly as sharp as I would like it to be.

I think I pretty much decided that I'm going to pony up for a better scope, and have narrowed it down to an IOR 2-12, or a Swaroviski 2-12.

The IOR 3-18 looks like a kick ass scope, but, with the MP8 reticle, I don't see the point of having exposed adjustment knobs because once I have it sighted in I don't intend to change the adjustments and I think the exposed knobs are just something else to bump, and go wrong.

I guess I SHOULD have bought one of the IORs when I first saw them, and they were going for about $750. Maybe, I can latch on to a used one somewhere.

Do any of you guys have any experiance, or thoughts on these scopes??

Are you shooting in open division? If not, I'd stick with low magnification. Close targets will be a PITA with magnification. Personally I'd shoot irons. If people can see a target with Eyeball tm Mk I, my bet is 4 power should be ok. That's just my opinion.

My 1st 3-gun scope was a Weaver 2-10. It was too much scope, so I went to the Weaver 1-3, which is excellent, but just a little lacking on the high end, but a fine true 1x on the low end. Now my two main match scopes are a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4, and a Meopta 1-4. My scopes spend most of the time set to the lowest power. Although sometimes I'd like a little more than 4x on the more distant targets, I'm not sure why one would give up close range speed on close targets (out to 50 - 100 yards), which are the majority of targets at all 3-guns I've been to, for high magnification to see the peach fuzz on 300 yard plates. Doesn't make much sense to me, but each to his own I guess. If you are shooting Open, then the above does not apply and you have my apologies for the misunderstanding. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Low power, 1 to 5 power is good for most 3 gun situations.

Even at 5 power shooting steel flash targets at 230’s or less you could get mixed up. On what flash target it what. That paper towel tube effect.

Leupold Mark 4 M/RT 1.5X5 works great for me

Jim M ammo

Yes, 90% of my 3-gunning is in open division and I use the "dot" for the closer targets.

When I shoot tactical optics, I have a JP short range sight for the closer targets.

I shoot tactical irons once in a while, and can shoot sub 2" groups at 200 yards, IF i can see the target, but, with my failing eyesight, if I wear the glasses that I can actually see the front sight with, seeing the targets really sucks.

Edited by RH45