Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 115gr FMJ Precision Delta's

SteveM

Anyone loading Precision Delta 115gr FMJ 9mm bullets or similar? I'm getting ready to start working up a load for these. They will be for punching paper at the range. I'm looking for opinions on which powder to start with. I have on hand HP-38, Titegroup, Power Pistol. I'm looking for an average cleanliness load between 1000 and 1100 FPS. I'm thinking of starting with 4.0gr of HP-38 and chrono them. Also looking for OAL and crimp diameter to start with. Any insight is appreciated.

Stick with the Titegroup IMO. It's cheap, safe, fairly clean, and accurate. Only drawbacks are some temp sensitivity and it burns really hot.

OAL will be determined by your gun's mags, chamber, and loading peticularities. If it pukes on a 1.13 OAL, you may have to go shorter. With a Precision Delta 115 gr bullet a 1.125 OAL should run in pretty much anything, but some guns really like a longer OAL.

A friend uses this load in 9MM. He has loaded several thousands of rounds, with satisfactory results in his guns.

115 grain Precision Delta FMJ/RN

4.6 grains TiteGroup powder (Hodgdon)

CCI 500 small pistol primers

OAL: 1.150

crimp: .375

Brass: WW (mixed)

Glock 17 w/4.5" barrel 1174FPS for a Power Factor of 135

Glock 26 w/3.5" barrel 1114FPS for a Power Factor of 128

As always, YMMV. Chrono your loads in your guns, to be sure of the results.

Of the loads I worked up, 4.6gr of HP38 seemed the best. They averaged 1030FPS. I loaded them at 1.130 OAL and .377 crimp. These were shot through a Glock 26. They were clean and didn't smoke and fed without incident. They were also fairly accuate. Do you think this setup would function OK in most pistol brands, mostly the XD's and Taurus's. Thanks.

There are a few highly skilled Bianchi shooters who swear by HP-38 in their supers. You might also look at N330 if you happen to come across any. N320 is another choice.

I'm happy to see this info regarding the PD bullets.

Is there any reason to buy one brand case gauge over another? I've got a Dillon gauge I use for 45 ACP and I've never had any issues with it. Should I just stick with the Dillon brand or maybe try out some Wilson's. I'm going to have to order gauges for 40 and 9mm and would like opinions. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have put in excess of 5K of these bullets though both a Dillon 550 and several different pistols, with no issues. Perhaps Mr. Smith got a bad batch.

I have been using 231 powder, but am out of that as I prepare to load another 5K. I'm loading up a few trial rounds with powder I have on hand... 3.5 of Clays; 4.2 of WST.

What I'm looking for is a practice load that works in in an HK P7 & P2000.

Anyone used these two powders with this bullet? I don't have a chronograph, so I'm going on recoil impulse and case condition as indicators...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Late 2006 thru Feb 2007, I bought Precision Delta .40 cal 180 gr and afterward had many cartridges that I was having trouble with. They shot ok if they'd chamber but many would not even chamber. It turned out that the bullets being oversized was the problem. They miked from .400 up to .40175 diameter and would not fit the tight STI chamber. My house gun, a Para, doesn't care tho and eats them like candy.