Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" or 6" for Limited....

Seth

Two things interplay. Your reaction to recoil, and the guns felt impulse. Most STI's 40 in 5 inch with the full underlug long frame are heavy pistols. Both the frame and slide are heavy and it is out front. Now overall weight isn't that much because of the plastic grip.

Now the hot thing is a light slide, but you still have frame choice, full or short. Then you've got to decide holes in front of slide or front and rear.

I just built a light 5 then went out and went out and build a very light 6 for it. Such that they weigh within a 1/2 ounce of each other.

Since it is a short frame and a lite slide with a bushing barrel. They point really well, and transition well.

The extra inch when your sighting in seems like an extra three inches.

However when shooting at really small targets, like 3 inch steel. I'm still more accurate with a old slab side shooting 45acp. This is all with factory ammo.

So it has advantage but it is small, and I can see no negatives. But it cost a fair amount of money!

I haven't run across a 6 inch gun that I've liked but I haven't shot them extensively. I've shot a handful of different ones with different ammo. I still prefer my old 5" std dustcover, lightened slide, bushing bbl .40. But I've always liked a short light gun. I'm one of those weirdos Scott was talking about that prefer the 17 to the 34. For me the majority of shots for IPSC don't warrant the extra time it takes me to line up that extra inch of sight radius. And yes, I can call my shots Howard. :D

Want2race,bring your toys old & new & go to Ashland Gun Club on 9-14-08. They'll have 4 stages (1 classifier & 3 whatever stages) that,if you make the morning session can be shot with 3 diffenet guns.This should give you a good testbed for comparison. If I can't make the match to see for myself you can still post the results.

I've said it before, but here goes again...

I had JPL Precision build my 6" limited gun and I've been shooting it all season. I went from finishing about the middle of the pack to finishing in the top 4 or 5 out of 20 shooters. Last weekend I finished 2nd and won 3 out of 7 stages. I've never won a stage until I started shooting the 6" gun. My scores are up 15 or 20% at local matches. My hit factors are up. I still don't shoot classifiers, standards, or Area matches that well, but that's the mental game I'm working on. It's easy to throw money at equipment, and now that I have the right equipment, I've got my sights set on A class.

I'm new to the 6" pistol thing too, but here are my observations so far....

I used to have an SVI 5" site tracker that took me to master class in limited. That pistol was trully an extension of my arm in a match.

I shot HSMITH's 6" pistol at area 3 in Oct 2007. I was hooked by the way it handled. I ordered one in Nov 2007. I picked it up May 2008 I then put it away for some time as I switched to the open division. I brought it out of moth balls and I'm still getting used to it. I competed against some very good competition at some bigger matches this year with it (without practicing hardly at all) and I fared pretty well. I'd like to see what happens when I am used to the pistol.

I really don't feel much of a timing difference between the SVI and the 6" pistol. IF I DO MY PART, I can tell a difference on ability to hit the 30yrd+ little steel. I wouldn't mind having a little more time with this pistol before traveling to Tulsa for the limited nationals, but we'll see what happens.

I know I won't be going back to a 5" pistol.

• 2 weeks later...