Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-USPSA Nationals revolver maintenance

Carmoney

Glad you are all right Cliff a revo ka-boom is no fun experience. Have seen a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt go the same way. The top strap was significantly bent on that revolver.

Greg, are you sure N310 is good for .45 GAP? I suspect it will be difficult to reach major PF safely with N310 and 230 gr bullet. Most shooters here that has turned to the GAP-way use N320 to reach around 175 PF which is a healthy margin to 170. Does major PF differ in USPSA vs IPSC?

Conny

Not sure how it will work out. I have used it before for the 45acp and it is very similar to clays, but not as spikey. I will work up slowy. We need to make 165pf, I always try and go to 170pf to be chrono safe.

Any idea what the N320 load is?

Thanks,

Greg

Obviously.....Glad Cliff was not hurt. Second, I agree that CLAYS can be spikey, and the problem is it just shows up. The nice thing is that 310 has a nice linear curve for its pressure, and will tell you way in advance when you are approaching the danger zone. That might be a better powder for this application in the GAP brass....

In a GAP case I doubt if it was a double charge. I doubt if it was a pressure spike or overpressure.

Sounds more like a case of the old Bullseye curse for Bullseye/PPC competitors.

Something we all need to watch. Is since we don't lose our brass and keep using it over and over and over. As the case gets old it can lose it's gripping ability on the bullet. If you shoot a GAP could it be a bullet pulled loose and actually increased case capacity as per the above mentioned Bullseye Detonations? Kind of an urban legend, I don't think it's ever been recreated in a lab, but it's a well known issue.

Maybe Cliff just needs to wear a glove now.

In a GAP case I doubt if it was a double charge. I doubt if it was a pressure spike or overpressure.

Something we all need to watch. Is since we don't lose our brass and keep using it over and over and over. As the case gets old it can lose it's gripping ability on the bullet. If you shoot a GAP could it be a bullet pulled loose and actually increased case capacity as per the above mentioned Bullseye Detonations? Kind of an urban legend, I don't think it's ever been recreated in a lab, but it's a well known issue.

I've seen Cliff's loads and I doubt is bullets creep forward, he puts a pretty hefty roll crimp on them things.

Anyone know someone in the industry that could pressure test these loads to see if what Mike said has any merit?

Hey Cliff, your more than welcome to borrow my SP 101 :ph34r: . I might have a chance, how ever small, to beat you then!

Really Cliff, you can use any of my guns if you want. Sorry about your luck. Glad your ok.

41mag

I've seen Cliff's loads and I doubt is bullets creep forward, he puts a pretty hefty roll crimp on them things.

Anyone know someone in the industry that could pressure test these loads to see if what Mike said has any merit?

Hey Cliff, your more than welcome to borrow my SP 101 :ph34r: . I might have a chance, how ever small, to beat you then!

Really Cliff, you can use any of my guns if you want. Sorry about your luck. Glad your ok.

41mag

Doesn't matter. I was crimping mine down to .460 and still had back out. By the same margin as at .468.

I experimented with everything in between also.

I even have a cannelure tool I've tried and it didn't make much difference.

Edited by pskys2

There's a difference between a tight roll crimp and a tight taper crimp. The taper crimp can actually backfire in terms of gripping the bullet. A roll crimp has to be physically overcome for the bullet to move. Roll crimps aren't infallible - note the problems with Scandium snubs and some loads - but they do grip the bullet better than taper crimps.