Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35: Failure To Feed

joseywales

Bought a couple of Arrendondo mag extension kits for my hi-cap mags so I could play in Limited division.

The Arrendondo kit comes with an extra power spring.

The hi-cap mags that I use have fed flawlessly before using the Arrendondo kit.

But after putting on the extension, somewhere around round 7-8, I will occassionally experience a FTF.

BTW, I use Federal AE 165gr FMJ exclusively.

At first I was putting 20 rounds in the mag, 1 in the chamber.

Thought the jams may be because I was putting too many rounds in the mag.

I backed it down to 19 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.

Same problem.

Anyone have suggestions?

Should I take a link out of the mag spring?

Thanks for the help.

What type of mags are you using? I had a problem with a non-full-metal-lined mag when I put a basepad on. The partial metal liner had started coming seperated from the body. They mag extension would allow the follower to go down below the bottom of the metal liner. The follower and sometimes the spring coils would snag on the liner. I sent the mag back to Glock and they replaced it. Now it runs fine with a basepad.

If you are using a full-metal-lined mag, I don't know what to tell you.

I have the same extension on two of my NFML G22 mags to use in my G22 in limited. My standard load uses a 180 FMJ and I haven't had any problems with them at all? Might try a different ammo?

Neal in AZ

Garrett - These mags are the FML type.

CGR - The best that I can recall (as latest occurrence was during a course of fire at a club match - so I dropped the mag, racked the slide, reloaded) it looked like the round it jammed on was sticking up at a higher-angle than what would allow it to go into the barrell - if that makes any sense).

Latest update - Last night I cleaned the inside of the mags out with some Simple Green & toothbrush, then put a little Break-Free on a patch and ran it around the inside of the mag and over the entire spring. Went to the range this morning and fired 250 rounds without incident (loading 19 in the mag, 1 in the chamber).

Still not convinced that the problem is addressed, could be just coincidence.

There are two thing to look at. If the 18th and 19th round are difficult to get in the mag, like the follower is binding on something you need to slightly bevel the inside lip of the extension. I'm talking about the inside lip of the floorplate that fits into the mag extension housing.

Second after you load the magazine give it a good rap on the bottom. This will loosen up any binding of the rounds in the magazine.

I run my mags with a wolff extended lenght +10% power spring. I find it works better than the arrendondo spring. Second load the mag up to 19 round so you have that little extra spring.

Like with any high cap you kind of have to tune them if they don't run reliable. Mark the individual magazines and keep track of which ones run flawless, and which ones are prone to jamming. Then fiddle with the problem mags till they run.

I was having the same problem you described with the Arredondo kits in my .40 tubes. I just purchased Grams followers and springs. I'll be trying them out on Saturday. I'll let you know how they work. One thing I can already tell, is the Grams springs are longer. Hopefully this will cure my problem. I also found I could get 21 rounds in one of the mags. I may be on to something with this combo. :)

I use the Grams extensions/followers/springs in my FML mags; they work flawlessly UNLESS the mag gets dirty.

If dust/crap gets into the mag, the rounds will bind and fail to properly "pop up" into the feed lips. The holes in the mag spine don't help here. As long as I run a brush through after I get it funky, all is good.

No problems with Grams followers and Federal AE40R1/180gr, G35, 15lb recoil spring/THE captured guiderod.