Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want a real good Tactical rifle.

badchad

Chad,

call the folks at JP and have a conversation --- selling you on their product is part of their job. Then call Jim at Firebird and have a conversation --- he'll be happy to try and sell you on his products. Do the same with Benny Hill or anyone else you might consider....

When I did this there weren't nearly as many choices; I'd already shot some friends guns, and talked with a bunch of people --- so I only made one phone call. I'm happy --- but if you have questions, it can't hurt to talk to several builders....

Sometimes, while you're a conversation, you'll just realize -- yeah, this is who should build my rifle....

I started with a Rock River Entry Tactical rifle and made the following changes (I didnt make the changes my personal gunsmith "MIG" made them****Hack Fu****).

-JP/V-Tac Free Float tube

-TTI Comp

-JP Trigger

-Magpul Grip

-Leupold VX-III w/ Larue Mount

-Lots and Lots of bullets :)

I am on seriously tight budget but this set up has worked well for me. If I had the money I think I might buy a JP. However, I am a lowly paid crime fighter and don't have the $$ or the time to shoot it enough to get out if it what it would cost to buy one.

My .02

Jayson

Edited by NovaShooter

Possible alternative: send your current AR off to a reputable smith, such as Benny Hill, and have him turn it into what you need in a competative rifle. This route would save you the cost of an upper and lower receiver, bolt, carrier, small parts. This way you would be spending for the stock, trigger, barrel, gas system, brake, and handguard. Much cheaper.

You would be surprised as to how the opinions of the top 30 shooters in Tactical don't vary by very much. Good trigger, good brake, adjustible gas block, lightened carrier, Free Float tube. Now just don't ask about optics....that is where the debate rages.

Triggers: 27 of the 30 run just one type

Brakes: there are 3 that you will see the most and they are kind of sorted by which coast you live close to.

Adjustable gas block: Any good one will do.

Lightened carrier: there are two companies to choose from, both excellent!

F.F. tube: There are several, but one is "the choice" and will be run by about 25 of them.

( Note Company names intentionally left off so as not to mislead the new shooters with personal opinion. :rolleyes: )

Kurt, "soon to be banished" Miller

Chad,

call the folks at JP and have a conversation --- selling you on their product is part of their job. Then call Jim at Firebird and have a conversation --- he'll be happy to try and sell you on his products. Do the same with Benny Hill or anyone else you might consider....

When I did this there weren't nearly as many choices; I'd already shot some friends guns, and talked with a bunch of people --- so I only made one phone call. I'm happy --- but if you have questions, it can't hurt to talk to several builders....

Sometimes, while you're a conversation, you'll just realize -- yeah, this is who should build my rifle....

Actually, in my day at JP (yes I used to work for him)........I tried to sell the people the best they could afford at the time. Did I think JP had the best?? oh yeah, was it the best for you?? I thought so. BUT.....if ya didn't have all that cash to lay down, or you wanted to build it in pieces, I like to think that I worked with you on that. Don't tell John, but I think I sold a few DPMS uppers in my day......but I also bet that when these people were ready to upgrade some of the components....they called JP back and ordered them.

I believe that John, Brock and Dave still have that philosophy there.....they don't just sell a product, they really have a passion for what they do. Not many times you can talk with a person in the industry that eats, sleeps and thinks firearms. Now, since JP....yep, Benny's (Triangle) that kinda guy too, Jim (Firebird) probably is as well. I think very highley of them all, and there may be some others out there.....But you hit the big 3 for sure.

And hey.....ya can't knock the DPMS rifles for solid built 3 gun game piece and a wide selection of components that YOU can specify made by a lot of the top 3 gun people out there.

Off topic jump: Can we put this Kurt 'soon to be banished' Miller thing to a vote? (And NOTE: Company names intentionally left in to lead the new shooters with personal opinion.).....But I also think alot I said is true too. :lol:

Tim 'Next in line' TRUbl

Edited by TRUBL

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I’m down to my last couple questions. I was showing the JP-15 to my buddy who is fairly knowledgeable about ARs, not 3 gun specific (more class III) but builds them, takes them apart and tinkers etc, and has all the requisite tools.

He looked at it and said heck we could build that ourselves for around a thousand bucks. With this thread it looks like I’ve learned what components I want, so would I really save that much piecing it together with my Brownells account? Am I getting something, besides simple assembly, by having the gun already put together by one that specialize in this stuff that makes the extra cost worth it?

Ok, I think I’m down to my last couple questions. I was showing the JP-15 to my buddy who is fairly knowledgeable about ARs, not 3 gun specific (more class III) but builds them, takes them apart and tinkers etc, and has all the requisite tools.

He looked at it and said heck we could build that ourselves for around a thousand bucks. With this thread it looks like I’ve learned what components I want, so would I really save that much piecing it together with my Brownells account? Am I getting something, besides simple assembly, by having the gun already put together by one that specialize in this stuff that makes the extra cost worth it?

You can put it together, you can save some money but you wont quite have the same thing, for one, resale, JPs, Benny built rifles ect have it, home builts not so much and there are some little tweeks here and there that the better builders have discovered. And like the old saying goes, the devil is in the details.--------Larry

Ditto to what Larry said. The details are everything. I have 2 JP's, 1 Benny Hill and one of my own and while I love them all, it took some time to gleen some of the tricks off of the other 3 as well as my own to get a rifle that I love.

Rich

Am I getting something, besides simple assembly, by having the gun already put together by one that specialize in this stuff that makes the extra cost worth it?

In my experience yes. My JP built/tweaked rifle runs like nothing else in my safe --- it's gone more than a 1000 rounds between cleanings, and just keeps going.....

That's something the factory Bushmaster that preceded it couldn't match....

...I do believe you're paying for the "craftsman" approach when having a rifle built....