Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Chrome Facility Closing...

pnmd

I read that Virgil Tripp stated, "In order to give my full attention to our new high performance 1911CobraMag line of products, our hard chrome and coating service facility will close August 15, 2003." :(

I don't think the STI Edge I ordered will be in by then.

Anyone know of any alternative sources to get my Edge hard chromed?

I have been told by source I consider to be one of the best pistolsmiths in the country to use either METALOY at http://www.billyhill.com/metaloy/]My Webpage[/url] or to use MAHOVSKY'S METALIFE at My Webpage. I don't want anyone to think I am being "coy" by not giving the name of the pistolsmith, but I was given the names of these companies by him on a personal level, and without checking with him, I wouldn't want to broadcast that he refers his work to them.

Hope this helps.

Jeffro (Jeff)

Found a site on the web:

apwcogan.com

Brushed.gifBright_Finish.gif

their website states "customer base includes..

Masaad Ayoob Jim Clark Eagle Grips

Merle Eddington Phil Hemphill Rob Leatham

Springfield Inc. Frank Garcia Hank Williams Jr.

Kel-Tec Arms Jack Ragsdale Caspian

D&L Sports Kahr Arms Hogue Grips

Alpha Precision JoJo Vidanes KBI

Bill Rodgers Roger Sigman YOUR NAME HERE "

I spoke with them today and the cost to chrome my STI Edge is $145 and for the "bright finish" is $245. They said that the BRIGHT FINISH is significantly difference from their regular chrome finish.

I've seen different chrome finishes and I would really like a bright chrome look. Like the ones you see in magazines.

However, takes 4 weeks them to do the service. :o

use either METALOY at  http://www.billyhill.com/metaloy/]My Webpage[/url] or to use MAHOVSKY'S METALIFE at My Webpage.

Just to clarify, where I give the web address for the two services, where it says in my post, "my webpage", it is NOT in fact my webpage. I am just a computer retard and got it screwed up, but if you click onto them, it will take you to the specified webpages. I obviously have no ties to either one of the companies whatsoever, but am just passing on information from a REALLY good source.

Best,

Jeffro (Jeff)

I am about to have a rifle matte chromed(first time to have anything chromed) and am sending it to CheckMate in Florida. I have seen several pistols they have done. Looked very nice. They have a website. I found it by downing a web search. Might check them out. Anyone no of a business that deals with powder coating firearms. Have had no luck even finding one that does guns. Thanks. TXAG

I had one of the above-mentioned finishes done on a gun and the frame cracked soon thereafter. (That is, after the horrible wait.)

All my CheckMate hard chromed guns came out great and are holding up great. Turnaround time was good on the last one, but poor to horrible on all the others. My then-gunsmith dealt with them.