Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric Grauffel At PSI - IPSC Training

IPSC Shooters :

2-time World IPSC Champion Eric Grauffel will be holding an IPSC competition class at The Practical Shooting Institute in Wichita, Kansas on Tuesday/Wednesday September 23rd and 24th. Eric will be demonstrating and teaching his winning techniques of IPSC competition. The class is available for only 10 shooters and there are only 2 spots left. You would need 1000 rounds of ammo to complete the 2 day course. PSI is hosting the class and providing lunch for all attendees. Cost of the 2-day class is $500. Contact us at sales@psishooting.com and http://www.psishooting.com for more details or to sign up. This is a rare chance to learn from a non-US champion shooter. Good luck everyone !!

caspian28r,

I also wonder, what's wrong with his equipment? I'll tell you that the Tanfoglio has come along way since the day of screwing a comp on a P9 and having at it. The new 2003-04 product line is very impressive. The technology and innovation that is going into the newest generation Tanfo's is probally going beyond what other manufacturers are doing to their products. What custom gun builders ('smiths) are putting together is what Tanfoglio is doing at the factory, only that the Tanfo is a different platform ie,..not a 1911. The highest optioned 'Open Gun' is the "Gold Custom Eric", after the man himself built to his specs, and offered complete race-ready out of the box. It is one beautiful firearm. Capacity isn't an issue either; 19+1 for short mags, and I believe 27 or 28+1 big stick .38Super. If it wasn't any good,.....why would he use it :huh: As far as equipment, is there really a "BEST" :unsure:

Youre right there isn't a "best". I guess I'm biased because I've decided my Caspian is too heavy for me, especially for long practices. 49 oz.

The Champ's gun is even heavier - likely around 52 to 55oz. He hasn't bought a new mag or mag extension in a while, so his stuff looks like its been thru 2 wars and a building demolition. But it works, that's for sure.

For someone who DOES like heavy heavy guns, his stuff has the advantage of very fast cycling of the slide and very very nice trigger action too. To each his own. The Champ's vision and natural body speed more than make up for his gun - the harder it is to start & stop in shooting positions, and the harder it is to find all the targets, the more he blows away the field.

dvc - eric - a28026

Eric,

Just when everyone thinks that they have seen the "best" combination of accuracy and speed (think Chris Tilley) someone like Grauffel comes around and makes you re-evaluate everything.

(These following comments are after watching Chris & Eric G. shoot field courses)

In my eyes, Grauffel was a stark contrast to Tilley. Grauffel shot comparatively slowly and moved very smoothly (although very quickly). Tilley seemed explosively fast moving from position to position and seemed to shoot very fast too. Tilley seemed more at home shooting (while standing relatively still) and then blasting to the next position while Grauffel never seemed to stop moving while shooting at a slower pace. I don't know of anyone that "shoots on the move" better than Grauffel. If I were asked to identify one single aspect of his shooting that seperates him from the rest, it would be his ability to shoot accurately while "on the move" at a brisk pace.

Given my observations, I do not believe that the heavy gun slows him down as much as it might slow someone else that is fast because of his blazing target acquisitions. The heavy gun might even help him to keep the gun smooth and stable while moving.

Leo

Leo

I agree with all of that. Chris Tilley looks like he takes field courses as "a series of speed shoots, with running in between". Grauffel would rather not stop moving, ever. I got his tape (which is very pricey now - weak Dollar vs Euro) and its freaking unbelievable. Just the stages that they do in Europe is a big help for him at the World Shoots. Same goes for Saul Kirsch.

European shooters in general have caught up to the USA a lot since 10 years ago and I think the stages they shoot are much better. Grauffel calls them "good technical stages". USA translation: very very difficult and requiring incredible body control & peripheral vision.

I see a lot of M and GM shooters getting low percentage finishes in the big matches & I think a lot of the reason for that is not taking all the shortcuts and combined movements that Todd, Max, and EG take. I found out that by being "a tiny bit" more conservative in attacking a field course could mean that the fastest anyone can do it my way is 12.5 seconds, then Max does his way & it takes 10 seconds. That knocks me down to 80% before I even fire the first shot. Very humbling. :mellow:

dvc - eric - a28026

• 2 months later...

I got to shoot Erics open gun recently, the Tangfolio design was a bit of change from the STI frame I'm used to, the safeties are a bit different as well. I think he said he uses somewhere around 11-11.5grns of SP2 under 115's, it shoots hard, but it's super-flat shooting. In my opinion, this guy is one of only about 3 or 4 in this entire sport who have truly mastered the art of pistol shooting.