Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

numbering magazines

Hey Guys,

I have found a problem with at least one of my magazines, but I've got 10 that I rotate (I shoot L10). Many of the guys at the range and my "mentor" have told me to label the magazines but permanent markers still come off with ease when I clean them. I clean my magazines after every match with my guns, and it's getting annoying. Has anyone tried to score or use a punch die set to number them? Will this affect the magazine's performance? I was thinking of using a numbered punch set I have at work, and marking them towards the base so the follower does not have to pass it in case I do dent them, but I'm worried if it will cause any other problems. Your input is greatly appreciated... thanks for you help!

Jerry

If you want to be super slick, you could bring your magazines in to a trophy shop and have them engraved.

If you want what works, you could get a paint pen. You could also buy stick on stickers purchased from the hardware store.

Another option is to stipple the bottom of your mag base (if it's plastic) with a number.

Thanks for the info, I happen to work down the street from a huge trophy shop, so I'll see what they say. I have a TON of mags that need numbering, 10 for myself and 8 for my girlfriend for now... when she gets her open gun and I get whatever it is I decide on, there's gonna be more of them too... damn.

Jerry

I've got one of those cheapie vibrating engraving guns I'm not even sure where I got it but it works great.

I have scored numbers into the metal of several sets of magazines. It doesn't look as pretty as what a trophy shop could do but the price was right. ;)

Michael the cheap Polack.

Maybe just use a paint marker for now, and when you get the time, money, motivation, or all of the above take a few at a time to the trophy shop and get them done right.

Manny Bragg has his basepads numbered, but he also has his name engraved on them "MANNY". I saw this at Area 6 earlier this year, and have been waiting for the right time to get mine done. Maybe this Fall / Winter when the season ends. :rolleyes:

More info....

Don't use the punch set, the mags won't take it. You could easily crack a weld seam, dent the mag enough to have function problems, etc. Scratching numbers in them lightly with a scribe works well, if you don't do it too deeply you can take it off should you ever sell a mag or want to have them professionally done. Another low cost but effective method is to use a P-Touch label maker or something similar, put the label on and a small piece of clear packing tape over the label to protect it. It holds up better than you would think and isn't permanent.