Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-8 barrel markings...

whizz

Got my 625-8 yesterday and noticed a strange discrepancy. The markings on the barrel are roll markings, not laser engraved. The text is also unusual as it on the right side reads: .45 cal model of 1988. Had a 625-3 a couple of years ago and it said model of 1989. Left side reads Smith & Wesson also in roll markings. The gun is manufactured in 2004. Is it common practise with S&W to use older stuff when assembling a new gun?

It shoots really well. Held 3" at 25 yds offhand today. Reckon the gun holds even tighter with a good bullseye shooter behind it.

Now I have to prepare it for the upcoming nationals in a couple of weeks.

Interesting. That gun was obviously assembled using one of the original run of 625-2 barrels! Should create no problem for you. I have heard that S&W has always liked to use up any surplus parts they find laying around the factory--this sounds like one of those situations.

Sounds like the one that I sent back. The one that I had also had the older style cylinder, that appears to be chamfered externally at the forcing cone end. Like you said, nothing actually wrong with the gun, but asthetically differs from my other 625's........Get the dixshunary bak owt bubba..... :roflol:

uhhhh... That doesn't sound Halal to me... :blink:

Dang Made me use my dikshunary. Thanx Unka Walter

Just trying to show some inclusion for our Muslim readers. :rolleyes:

Whizz, will assume this gun does not have the lock. How does the action feel from the factory? I have picked up some new J and K frames that I could use for an exercise device. Just curious.

It does have the lock. I mean it had the lock. The action was... well not so good, especially the cylinder lock - trigger engagement was extremely gritty and rough. It is fine now though. A good oil stone took care of that, as well as the rest of the parts that needed stoning. Just waiting to put a bobbed hammer into it and it should be ready to rock. :)

Wish I was in as good shape as the gun... Got myself an inflammation in my right elbow just in time for our nationals. Glad I'm a southpaw. Some painkillers and a wooden dowel to bite into and I shall be good to go.

Tom,

The grip is a Hogue monogrip. Finger grooves cut away and most parts of grip sanded with coarse grit. Then plastic padding (the flexible type) applied and gripped with oiled hands. After hardening excess plastic cut away. Then sanded with two component epoxy and Silicon Carbide grit 60/90 mesh.

The grip is lightly brushed with steel brush to get the sharpest grit away before use.

Edited by whizz

dagz,

the best source for a Carmonized hammer is the man himself, Carmoney, although that is just one component of the kick-ass action job he does too. Drop him a PM, he's friendlier than we make him seem! :roflol:

dagz,

the best source for a Carmonized hammer is the man himself, Carmoney, although that is just one component of the kick-ass action job he does too. Drop him a PM, he's friendlier than we make him seem! :roflol:

Yeah, and Wagner's music is better than it sounds... ;)