Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New 9 major open!

ormondopen

Try holding the gun at an angle

I'm no expert (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express recently), but... that would probably introduce some "issues".

If you hold the gun at an angle while sighting it in, you're going to be adjusting the sight to align point-of-aim with point-of-impact at that angle. The problem is that the bullet drops (on a vertical plane) between the muzzle and the target, and the sight will be taking that drop into account *AT THAT ANGLE*.

Loosely translated, that means when you hold the gun upright again, the bullet will not "drop" in the same direction it did when you zero'd the dot. It'll put your point-of-impact in a *very* different place.

$.02

B

Shoot Gary an email about the ejection issues and see what he thinks. I'm sure no expert but 12 pounds on the recoil spring seems a bit heavy to me. I was told not to go over 10 pounds or function issues could develop with the slide short stroking with a light slide.

Which load has better dot track? I don't care how hard the gun hits me in the hand as long as the dot track is what I want.

the HS6 has better dot track, I get a little figure 8.

I ran about 50 rounds thru it today and believe it or not there was very little blast residue on the lens. maybe because it is lower to the slide, don't know for sure.

once I got it in my hands there would not be enough room to move the mount back any further without interference with the manual racking of the slide and safety engagement.

Very clean and nice pistol!

I have close to the same setup but on a V12 Tanfoglio no shield with no problems... just be careful and it should be fine.

Leo

how in the H _ _ _ did you get it sighted in, it's driving me crazy. a friend recommended drawing an X on a target and using the lines as the up/down and left/right. another thing to get use to is since the windage adjustment screw has been relocated to the other side clockwise is now for left adjustment. CONFUSING!

HAHA. I had one of the first of those and it's a trip to sight in. Two thing will happen over the next coupleof months... you will spend more time amd ammo on sighting that you ever have and it will get to the point you have no trouble sighting. That sideways stuff never worked for me. Here's what I did... I made a cheat sheet with the Major and minor directions for both adjustments. Like when you turn the elev up you get more right then up, so the Major is right and the minor is up. Get it? ;) Do the same for windage and you will get a feel for how one movement affects the other and you will get a feel for it in short order.

If you are way off use your index to find a starting point....

GL

JT

PS Have one pretty close to yours and I wouldn't go less than 10 esp as the gun is new... you will need the help getting it into battery.

Edited by JThompson

Bullet drop of a 1400 fps load at 25 yards can't be measured

I'm still no expert, but... hmmm.

According to the ballistic calculator at www.handloads.com, a 124gr bullet going 1400fps will drop nearly 3/4 of an inch (0.69") at 25 yards.

But the issue isn's "just" about whether it drops. The question is about which *direction* it drops.

If you sight in a gun with the gun tilted, you're essentially setting an angle that considers height of sight above (the tilted) bore, and distance that the center of sight is offset from (the tilted) bore, and dialing it in so that point-of-aim and point-of-impact coincide at the desired distance.

When you then hold the gun vertically, those relationships change. The result is that the point-of-aim and the point-of-impact will no longer coincide. If, for example, the gun shoots to point of aim with the gun canted to the left, it will shoot *right* of point of aim with the gun held upright.

All of that is esoteric (but provable). My point was that it will be less work to sight the gun in upright, because canting it makes it - at the very least - more complicated.

B

Bullet drop of a 1400 fps load at 25 yards can't be measured

I'm still no expert, but... hmmm.

According to the ballistic calculator at www.handloads.com, a 124gr bullet going 1400fps will drop nearly 3/4 of an inch (0.69") at 25 yards.

But the issue isn's "just" about whether it drops. The question is about which *direction* it drops.

If you sight in a gun with the gun tilted, you're essentially setting an angle that considers height of sight above (the tilted) bore, and distance that the center of sight is offset from (the tilted) bore, and dialing it in so that point-of-aim and point-of-impact coincide at the desired distance.

When you then hold the gun vertically, those relationships change. The result is that the point-of-aim and the point-of-impact will no longer coincide. If, for example, the gun shoots to point of aim with the gun canted to the left, it will shoot *right* of point of aim with the gun held upright.

All of that is esoteric (but provable). My point was that it will be less work to sight the gun in upright, because canting it makes it - at the very least - more complicated.

B

That's what I found too and not just for long distance, but from 10-25 yds too.... You need to sight it like you shoot it