Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Vs. Tanfoglio

The CZ and the Tanfoglio are very similar guns but they are not the same. There are even some mags that won't switch between the two but most are interchangable.

Be aware that the CZ IPSC model you are looking at uses a different magazine from either the CZ75 or the Tanfoglio clones. This is only an issue if you live somewhere like the U.S. where getting standard capacity magazines can be a problem.

I have owned several CZ's and their clones and I thought the CZ was a nicer gun fit and finish wise but that they all worked very well regardless of whether they were the origonal or the clone.

-ld

Not really. The clones are all a little bit different. The trigger in an EAA Witness, a Tanfoglio, has different internal parts than a CZ75 for example. Ergonomically they should "feel" the same and they do look very similar. Either would be good for IPSC.

-ld

Sorry, I was referring to the "fit and function" I have owned a Tangfolio and P9 and they aren't interchangable, but pretty dang close. My Tangfolio was nicer, but then again the smith that made it did a great job. My only complaints are the mags. They aren't as strong as I would like.

Gotcha. I was on a whole different tangent. :)

There are some good mag pads available from Brownell's and Wolf makes some springs that are also available, you guessed it, from Brownell's. I had good luck using the 14 coil springs for the Caspian mags instead of the ones made for CZ type mags. You might also have to get the lower detents cut out of even the high cap mags to get the maximum number of rounds in the mag.

-ld

If you live in the USA, my advise would be: Neither brand. If you happen to find hi-cap mags here for either one, they are going to be (& this is pure BS) "pre-ban" mags, which are almost always poor quality.

If you live outside the USA, buy whatever you like. But there are guns out there a lot less finicky than the TZ. Mag springs and recoil springs can be a constant headache. Just my $.02...

dvc - eric - a28026

Sanchezero,

Good choice IMO. I owned a CZ75 and like dit very much.

Some of my friends at the club have Tanfoglio's.

I feel that the finish of the Tanfoglio's is somewhat better than on the CZ75, but it is my experience that the CZ75 is just a little bit more reliable.

Go for it and enjoy !

I'd beg to differ with anyone who says that pre-ban hi-cap mags:

a) don't exist

B) are almost always poor quality

I shot a P-9 World Cup and had a CZ-75. Mags were interchangeable. The P-9 came out in the early 90's and there were plenty of mags made back then. I still have a few pre-ban hi-cap mags around 17-18 rounds, a big stick 25 round mag, and I'm currently auctioning a 35-36 round extended basepad conversion kit on ebay (do a search on "IPSC").

The mags worked fine, and the gun worked fine, once it was set up right.

It should be noted that some CZ-75s wouldn't let the mag drop free (by design) due to a spring in the mag well. IIRC, I either removed the flat spring, or straightened it.