Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting as an Olympic Sport?

Yeah getting past ISSF is the real hurdle. All the Olympic shooting events are ISSF events.

We'd have to really retool the look of the sport to make it palatable to them.

That's why I think the Steel Challenge is the better bet for inclusion. No humanoid type targets and hits are visible/audible to spectators.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, IPSC is already set up with the WADA anti-doping rules. They're byzantine and will be in-place for the next World Shoot and have already been tested.

Bottom-line, if you're in the running to win anything, get a doctors note for everything you take, OTC and prescription, stating it is the only effective treatment for what ails you.

Steel Challenge would be a far better bet for the Olympics-- there are World Records to go after, it's reasonably spectator-friendly (they could swap in pneumatic falling-plates if they had Olympic-level dough), not nearly as 'combative' as IPSC, and you can figure out who the best in the world are in about 2 hours. Of course the rules will probably quickly be changed to .22 LR only and iron-sights and five-shots one-hand-only, but them's the wish-for's... :wacko:

I've been watching nothing but the olympics for the last week, so I have to chime in. I have to agree with shred, the steel challenge would be our best bet. The Pro-am type stup would be another choice that would be spectator freindly. Being spectator friendly has to be thought of when trying to publicize a sport, meaning that they have to see what is happening.

How many spectators do we get at nationals? Not many, even though, to us, this is the best thing since sliced bread it's hard to see/know what's going on score wise. I went to the second day of SS Nationals and watched Leatham and Jarret's squad for a couple stages. I learned a bit about how the best do things, but thier scores were a mystery. I know they could flash them on a score board, but I think steel is the best way to go about this. Steel challenge wouldn't be a bad start, but it isn't what "we" are looking for.

I have never heard of the OIC or whatever, but I can believe it. Look at how IDPA and USPSA shooters get along, even on this forum. IDPA and USPSA are about the two closely related shooting sports out there! The only way we will ever accomplish anyhting close to getting something that we want in the olympics is to be more friendly to the other shooting sports. I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing that "(insert shooting sport name here) isn't right", or "I won't shoot that" or whatever excuse people have to be so narrow minded. I will shoot anything I can. I'm not much good at precision stuff, I don't have the patience, but I have shot many different sports, SASS, IDPA, USPSA, Skeet, BPCR sillouhette, and let me tell you, the only thing that is different about people competing in different sports is this, the name of the sports that they don't like or won't shoot.

My $.02

Jason