Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My understanding is that the USSA range in Tulsa has submitted a proposal to hold the match and that the where the 2011 match will be held will be announced at this years match which is Oct 22-Nov 2.

The regional directors will have a meeting at the World Shoot in Bali this year. At that meeting regions can present proposals to host the World Shoot. The RD's vote on the proposals and that is where it is held. Some years there are only one or two regions that request the opportunity to host the WS. Sometimes there are more. Until this years WS there is no way to tell where it will be held. If USSA (please, please, please) throws their hat in the ring to host it that doesn't necessarily guarantee we will get it.

Also as a quick side note. The regions bid to hold the events, not the specific ranges. That range can be part of the proposal, but it's the US requesting the WS, not USSA.

The region may bid, but either they have to have or be able to build a range to hold the match. If The US (PLEASE, PLEASE) bids, that is fantastic. But, unless a range wants to be the host, there will be no match. USSA would be a great place to hold a World Shoot. The state of Oklahoma is a friendly place to us shooter types. Tulsa has a good airport and a lot of hotels and places to eat.

I will even start shooting at headless targets if we are awarded the WS.

Jim

If US gets the World Shoot there will be 1500+ shooters from this country who will ask to be on the wait-list.

If you've never done a World Shoot before, it is an absolute blast !!! Maintaining focus for an entire week (and 35+ stages) is not easy. After finishing it feels like you've climbed Mt. Everest.

Having said that, it takes a LOT to organise one. The number of things to get sorted out is huge. Usually the organisers start immediately, 3 years to plan and make it all happen will go in the blink of an eye.

What people said-- the votes will be taken at the General Assembly at the upcoming World Shoot, and the regions get to submit bids if they choose. Based on the unofficial comments I heard in France at the Europeans, a US World Shoot bid would be popular, with a couple caveats that may sway voters one way or the other:

- as yet there have been no recent major international matches held in the US; the voters like to see a continental championship or the like to prove the host region has the capability to run a 1000 shooter match over a week and a half.

- it's currently a nuisance getting guns into the US for many foreigners. 'e-mail your serial numbers to the match director' probably won't cut it with the State Dept. How much fun are, say, the shooters from IPSC-Indonesia ("a terrorist country") or IPSC-Russia or wherever going to have getting guns & ammo in? A US bid would have to address this.

- it becomes several somebody's full-time job planning and directing the WS logistics. I don't know if USPSA or USSA has somebody they can spare/pay for 2-3 years.

- often, and unofficially, the match location 'rotates' around the world. some people may want Europe/Africa to be next in line since the Americas and Asia held the last two. Given as how the EHC had to be relocated at a late date, and that range can't really support a WS, I doubt they'll bid, but there's a chance.

- often, and unofficially, the match location 'rotates' around the world. some people may want Europe/Africa to be next in line since the Americas and Asia held the last two...

1993 - UK - Europe

1996 - Brazil - Americas

1999 - Philippines - Asia

2002 - South Africa

2005 - Ecuador - Americas

2008 - Bali - Asia

So it hasn't been in Europe for a while, I suspect Czech and maybe France may put a bid in particularly with the experience that France had with a successful Euro-Championship. I think USA has a good chance of getting a bid but it all depends on the Regional Directors as to where they want to go.

It takes much more than one person to organise something like this. I think the 1993 WS in England had about 8-10 people on the team, much of that work done in everyone's spare time. It is a huge amount of work and should not be undertaken lightly.

I'm confident that USA could host a great match, but I agree that some experience would be useful.

As to the permit thing, they had to be done months in advance for Brazil, Philippines and Africa, I know this as I had to do it...

Edited by BritinUSA

- often, and unofficially, the match location 'rotates' around the world. some people may want Europe/Africa to be next in line since the Americas and Asia held the last two...

1993 - UK - Europe

1996 - Brazil - Americas

1999 - Philippines - Asia

2002 - South Africa

2005 - Ecuador - Americas

2008 - Bali - Asia

So it hasn't been in Europe for a while, I suspect Czech and maybe France may put a bid in particularly with the experience that France had with a successful Euro-Championship. I think USA has a good chance of getting a bid but it all depends on the Regional Directors as to where they want to go.

It takes much more than one person to organise something like this. I think the 1993 WS in England had about 8-10 people on the team, much of that work done in everyone's spare time. It is a huge amount of work and should not be undertaken lightly.

As to the permit thing, they had to be done months in advance for Brazil, Philippines and Africa, I know this as I had to do it...

I think Slovenia was going to host the EHC last year, but had to back out because the range wasn't happening. I heard the France range was the only other one that could do it, although I've heard good things about some of the Czech ranges. They ran 1000+ shooters through in France, so they could do it, but it could use a little more boost to make it all the way to WS standards.

I had to send my serial numbers in for Bali already, but it was just that-- an entry into a web site, not applying to the government directly.

I agree about the one person-- it'll take a lot, but at least one of them gets to be pretty much full-time, and that takes commitment from whoever is paying them.