Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What shells are okay to reload?

Hey guys,

I've been saving up and cleaning shells, getting ready to reload. I know that the Blaser shells and the like are not reloadable, but are there any other ones I should stay away from? I've been picking up anything brass at the range, and have been cleaning them non-stop for the past two weeks.... I've got about 3-4 five gallon buckets full of .45, .40, and 9mm. Anything will help, I'm just afraid of the fact that I have to go through each one... :cheers:

Jerry

If it's steel or aluminum throw it out. Some guys are picky and like to have all the same headstamp. For the most part I reload "whatever" as long as it's brass and not Berdan or military crimped primered. Basically you'll find that out, when you go to deprime and the press laughs at you (and you possibly have a broken primer pin).

Hey guys,

I've been saving up and cleaning shells, getting ready to reload. I know that the Blaser shells and the like are not reloadable, but are there any other ones I should stay away from? I've been picking up anything brass at the range, and have been cleaning them non-stop for the past two weeks.... I've got about 3-4 five gallon buckets full of .45, .40, and 9mm. Anything will help, I'm just afraid of the fact that I have to go through each one... :cheers:

Jerry

AMERC = bad news. You can find a good bit of information on preferred brass HERE.

A good reloading book will get you the best start. I like the Hornady books but even one from the used book store would be fine. most all your load data will end up being custom, but the entire starter intorduction in the book is what you want.

JF

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll start picking out the bad apples. As far as I know, they are all either CCI, Federal, or Winchester. I think there's some of the Israel TZZ stuff in the .45, and maybe some Blaser Brass.... we'll see. Thanks again guys.

Jerry

Watch the TZZ brass...I loaded a bunch using my usual crimp and most of the bullets could be pushed into the case by finger pressure. A little added crimp was needed. This didn't hurt loads using any other brass. This was the first time I had used TZZ.

Good luck,

Richard

Watch the TZZ brass...I loaded a bunch using my usual crimp and most of the bullets could be pushed into the case by finger pressure. A little added crimp was needed. This didn't hurt loads using any other brass. This was the first time I had used TZZ.

Good luck,

Richard

Wow, that's kinda scary. I guess I'll have to sort them all through once I get the loader. I'll just run the TZZ crimps tighter and use them for practice rounds or something. Thanks for the heads up.

Jerry

Also use the search engine here... there are hundreds of posts on reloading, brass, powder etc etc.

I'll try to find a better way to search, thanks...

Jerry

there are no stupid questions :unsure:

Good luck,

Richard

Also, I have found that a lot of them have crimped primers. PITA to ream the primer pockets to keep from crushing primers.

PAT

If it's steel or aluminum throw it out. Some guys are picky and like to have all the same headstamp. For the most part I reload "whatever" as long as it's brass and not Berdan or military crimped primered. Basically you'll find that out, when you go to deprime and the press laughs at you (and you possibly have a broken primer pin).

Amen to that :cheers: They love me at EGW with all of the decapping pins I run through :rolleyes:

As far as Blazer brass, I reload it in .40 just fine. If it's in decent shape, it gets cleaned and hits the press like every other piece of brass I have scrounged.