Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-mandatory Reloads

Paradox

Everyone has probably heard of someone doing this... some may have accomplished this feat on their own.

BIG word of advice : Be careful when you grab your blaster off the table so you don't hit the mag release. It's embarrassing and messed up my focus for the rest of the stage. :wacko:

This was my second competition match ever (in April), and had to learn this one the hard way. I tanked the stage, but did manage to pull a B Classification out of the match.

To illustrate, check out the video... If you listen carefully, you can hear another shooter say the words "Never had that happen..." in the background.

See Idiot Here

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, cool. I used to have that happen all of the time. I had an oversized mag release with a really light spring on a Para. It didn't matter how I tried to pick up the gun, it would bump the button and the mag would fall out after shooting the first round. I started getting into the habit of hitting the bottom of the mag whenever I'd pick the gun up off of a table to be sure it was seated. Later, I replaced the light mag catch spring with a factory strength spring. The problem went away after that.

• 3 weeks later...

I had that happen on the very first match I ever shot. It was a classifer no less (mini mart). Ever since I have adopted the "scoop draw" when drawing from a table. I lift the rear of the gun by reaching under the slide at the rear sight w/ my weak hand and raising it up to meet my strong hand. I even do it with my Open gun which has a kickstand so it's really not needed, but I think it helps you get a good initial grip on the gun. Also I think it is just as fast as your support hand is already there and in position for your grip.

There's a great picture of me in Front Sight at the Nationals two years ago before I realized that my magazine had left my gun after picking up off a table. Until I figured out another way to stop this from happening, I started laying my gun down on the other side and picking up with my left hand. This method sucks!

I was not willing to give up my oblong button so switched back to an Ed Brown wide thumb safety (from STI) and Brazos mag well (from STI) in an effort to give enough clearance. Seems to be working so far.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard of a guy with a slide racker on a Limited gun when I was at Area 4. I had my suspicions confirmed on who it was a week ago. Not a bad idea though, you'll never dump a mag off of a table.

Think I know who you're talking about. The 1st time I ever saw him with that "kick stand" on his limited gun @ TX Limited in 2001 (I think), I questioned him about whether it was legal. Sure enough, it is allowed within current rules. Just something that doesn't seem quite right about having an awkward stick messing up the nice clean lines of a limited gun.

I dumped a mag at my first major match when I picked my limited STI off a table. I replaced the spring with a stiffer one and it helped.

About a month later I happened to put a SVI mag in my STI and I found that I could push down on the gun and the SVI mag wouldn't come out of the gun. It comes out easily when the button is pressed, it just requires more travel than the STI mag does. No more worries about dumping a mag for me!