Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would it be worth it?

Bird_Dog0347

shoot .40 in open just have a schuemann tribrid 2 fitted in either 6" the barrel will stick out a bit or a 5" that will be flush. You can use your same mags and save that expense.

Fit the Jpoint or Docter of your choice to the back.

Load them with 135 or 165 with HS6 and you will have a flat shooting gun.

I am actually building one right now. Though I am building mine strictly for modified division.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started shooting USPSA a little over a year ago at 41. I honestly don't think my eyes will ever let me get past C class Limited. I have tried several different prescriptions. The only one that keeps me focused on the front sight blurs even the closest target badly. I do best with my normal glasses and deal with the suck.

I just finished building an open gun. I have yet to shoot a match with it but after running 300 rnds through it this weekend, I have really high hopes. I don't even care if it speeds me up so long as I can get back to shooting clean and calling shots.

I restarted shooting at age 45, it has been 15 years since i was a b class shooter. My eyes have been bad since age 40. After my third match with my new g-17 in production i am feeling pretty good back in the groove I haven't even practiced yet, just shot 3 matches. The guys called me a glock sniper Sunday because of my last shot on a Texas star behind a no shoot. Whats the secret? sight picture with Trijicon sights. I'm sure good fiber optic would be the same. I know I couldn't see black sights well enough to do well with them. I am considering going open and shooting minor with no comp and with j-point style sight. I think it might be the way to go until I shoot faster than my gun and i need to build a major 9 g-17...... Im just wondering if j-point is the way to go, do they hold up?

@ Rupie: I'm sure the JPoint would hold up for a long long time under minor PF loads. If you're concerned about longevity, look at the Trijicon Red Dot. Looks a whole lot like the JPoint to me, but with a Lifetime warranty.

@Kingman and WDB: I'm glad to hear of others considering .40 in open. I've conversed with Flyin40 and ChuckS about this topic. I've got a spare 5" .40 barrel and slide that is fitted to my frame just begging for a comp and a Trijicon red dot. Same mags (huge $aving$), same dies in the Square Deal. Just need a new kind of bullet and powder. What are you guys using? And those Modified guns are sweet too!

@ Bird Dog: I'm not an open shooter yet, but what the heck, I say go for your plan. New barrel, breach face, extractor, Bomar mount for slide mounted optic. Why not? That's why we SV shooters have interchangable breachfaces! We don't need all new top ends!

@Kingman and WDB: I'm glad to hear of others considering .40 in open. I've conversed with Flyin40 and ChuckS about this topic. I've got a spare 5" .40 barrel and slide that is fitted to my frame just begging for a comp and a Trijicon red dot. Same mags (huge $aving$), same dies in the Square Deal. Just need a new kind of bullet and powder. What are you guys using? And those Modified guns are sweet too!

I use Rainier 135 gr. FP plated bullets. For powder, I go with Longshot, VV350 or power pistol. Currently using power pistol cause it's inexpensive, readily available, burns clean, and is consistent in my gun. Longshot would be next and it definitely opens some eyes at the range (a.k.a. LOUDshot), then VV350 only due to the expense. Best of luck and have fun with it.

Edited by WDB

Found it!!!

USPSA web page classified adds.

In case you don't know:

Click 'members' at the top of the main page, enter the username and password (from the Front Sight magazine, pm me if you don't have it handy.)

Click 'classified' on the right.

2nd page, add number 12945

Edited by Jeff686

I think the guys were suggesting shooting 40 open by getting a new barrel with comp fitted. Thats why they were suggesting loads. Actually if I remember right my smith told me I could swap out my 40 limited barrel with a comped 40 barrel. The only thing was that the slide was cut so the barrel would stick out just a little bit more. If you decided to do that and go that route it would be a pain in the a$$ to switch back and forth because of the sights. Most sights just don't slide in real easy. If you really don't plan on changing them out for a yr then it wouldn't be that bad.

Is your gun a full dustcover gun and a full profile slide??? I personally like a heavy gun. I have a full length dustcover and a Unique slide. The slide was lightend and just a bit cut off the dustcover but its a pretty heavy gun.

So if you went 40 open

You would need a barrel and comp fitted, 170mm mag and a red dot. Some 135gr bullets also. Thats about all you need. If you did this just remember your slide would be cut just a bit shorter and might get less out of it if you go to sell it.

If you went with a 9mm or 38super you need barrel, comp, new dies, mags and red dot. The mags will add quite a bit of money.

Either way is fine especially if your not wanting to dump alot of money into it. The next best option is buying a used Open gun. If you watch you can find a great deal between this forum and the Uspsa classifieds. This is of course assuming you want to save your money.

Flyin

Found it!!!

USPSA web page classified adds.

In case you don't know:

Click 'members' at the top of the main page, enter the username and password (from the Front Sight magazine, pm me if you don't have it handy.)

Click 'classified' on the right.

2nd page, add number 12945

I saw that too, but I don't want to have it fitted to my SV, nor do I have a lower to put it on, nor would I be willing to drill my SV frame for the cmore mount.

I think the guys were suggesting shooting 40 open by getting a new barrel with comp fitted. Thats why they were suggesting loads. Actually if I remember right my smith told me I could swap out my 40 limited barrel with a comped 40 barrel. The only thing was that the slide was cut so the barrel would stick out just a little bit more. If you decided to do that and go that route it would be a pain in the a$$ to switch back and forth because of the sights. Most sights just don't slide in real easy. If you really don't plan on changing them out for a yr then it wouldn't be that bad.

Is your gun a full dustcover gun and a full profile slide??? I personally like a heavy gun. I have a full length dustcover and a Unique slide. The slide was lightend and just a bit cut off the dustcover but its a pretty heavy gun.

So if you went 40 open

You would need a barrel and comp fitted, 170mm mag and a red dot. Some 135gr bullets also. Thats about all you need. If you did this just remember your slide would be cut just a bit shorter and might get less out of it if you go to sell it.

If you went with a 9mm or 38super you need barrel, comp, new dies, mags and red dot. The mags will add quite a bit of money.

Either way is fine especially if your not wanting to dump alot of money into it. The next best option is buying a used Open gun. If you watch you can find a great deal between this forum and the Uspsa classifieds. This is of course assuming you want to save your money.

Flyin

I doubt I would have much problem getting at .40 barrel that is comped as mine is a sight tracker. But if I am gonna do it, I might as well do it in 9mm for additional capacity. I am still waiting to hear back from SV for the price to convert it. It is a full dust cover as well, the one on the right in my avatar.

Unless I'm missing something, if you don't want to drill your SVI frame for a c-more mount then you have to get a slide ride type dot. If you do that you'll have to have you slide cut for the dot or get another topend for you gun. If your going to get another topend for your gun why not get a 38 super or 9mm fitted with a slide ride dot. Pull pin, take off limited setup put on open setup put pin back.

Unless I'm missing something, if you don't want to drill your SVI frame for a c-more mount then you have to get a slide ride type dot. If you do that you'll have to have you slide cut for the dot or get another topend for you gun. If your going to get another topend for your gun why not get a 38 super or 9mm fitted with a slide ride dot. Pull pin, take off limited setup put on open setup put pin back.

Yes, you must have missed something. I can get a Dr./JPoint sight for the gun, and for an extra $40 I can get the mount for it that fits in the Bomar rear cut. No need to drill or cut anything. :cheers:

Yes, you must have missed something. I can get a Dr./JPoint sight for the gun, and for an extra $40 I can get the mount for it that fits in the Bomar rear cut. No need to drill or cut anything. :cheers:

Ah....yes, but it wouldn't be as low as the front sight is now. The cool thing, and I'm sure you know this already, is the melted dots get almost as low as that front sight so the indexing is about the same. But if your just going to shoot it for sheeeitz and giggles all you would need to do is drop in a comped barrel move the sight to the doctor and go....damnit now you have me thinking again and it hurts.

Do you have a link for that mount?

Ah....yes, but it wouldn't be as low as the front sight is now. The cool thing, and I'm sure you know this already, is the melted dots get almost as low as that front sight so the indexing is about the same. But if your just going to shoot it for sheeeitz and giggles all you would need to do is drop in a comped barrel move the sight to the doctor and go....damnit now you have me thinking again and it hurts.

Do you have a link for that mount?

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?p...&key=135-BM

I just scored a J Point on ebay this morning, I think I will mount it up and try it as is for a match and see how I like it. If I like the dot, time to get the barrel etc.

There will be an adjustment period. Finding the dot will be the hardest thing, it can be overcome by some dryfire. Also your going to have alot of recoil with the limited gun as compared to a comp and barrel.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

If you have been shooting the limited gun for a while, the only adjustment will be to the dot, and that is not likely to be a big deal. Same timing, same feel.

There is no down side. Set the gun up the way you want, and go shoot it. You will learn about what the gun is doing from the dot, and if you never shoot open again, you will shoot limited better. If you decide to pursue open, you have many options.

Enjoy! :D

I got the JPoint installed last night, I think I am really gonna like it. It sits much lower than a CMore and points almost as naturally as the irons. Now I gotta find the time to sight it in. I will try to post pics tonight.

I am sure the mount cost less than having the sight milled out for a doctor/jpoint and is probably the best option for someone who just wants to try it and see if Open is for them. ;)

Nice pistol, let us know how you do.

Edited by HoMiE

Ok, pics as promised. I am gonna leave the front sight on the barrel and take out the fiber. It is not like it ever really distracted me from looking at the target before anyways. :rolleyes:

post-7984-1217035261.jpg

post-7984-1217035269.jpg

Though I would love to have another 40 open shooter I have tell you that you are not aloud to shoot 40 open with that gun. That is a sweet ass limited gun so you can't change it.

Flyin