Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Push And How To Fix?

azjeeper

I have recently started to develop a nasty habit of pushing my shots from my G22 just before firing. I have a tendancy to push the barrel downward a little in anticipation of the shot going off. I would like to know if there are some drills or other methods to correct this problem?

Paul

Read BE's book, then go out and just shoot shots into a berm and learn to watch your sights. You can't stop the recoil, your body just has to learn to get used to the fact that the gun will move and accept that it is ok.

Actually I have just recently in the last year started to get into shooting more. A friend of mine started me into it and I have progressively gotten into it more and more. This friend also helped me out with your competitve reloading tape and Todd Jarret's tape on competitive shooting. He also got me a great deal on an RCBS rock chucker press (I have already told my wife I NEEEEEEEEEEED a Dillon soon). So bottom line is the interest in competitve shooting is fairly new. I have shot in a few matches with a local honeywell (in Phoenix) team, but I really need to overcome my fear of the unknown and show up at a "real" match. I am a member of Rio Salado range in Phoenix, and I should probably go to the Tuesday night match and at least watch the first time and then try it out.

Paul

PS I will be getting your book ASAP

Hi,

Dry firing works for me.

And on the range you could have someone fill some magazines for you with live rounds and dummies mixed. When the gun goes "click" instead of "boom" it should stay on target ...

Don't rush your shooting, and yes, buy & read the book, it is well worth the money.

If you haven't done the Tuesday Night Steel match at Rio you really should try it. It is a great match that is laid back and a whole lot of fun. There is a class for new shooters every Tuesday at 6pm if you decide to give it a go.

-ld

AZ:

I found myself doing the same thing at the practice range with my Glock35. Especially one-handed. Weak hand MUCH worse than strong hand. I was moving (reacting) early, before the shot went off. This had not been a problem with my open gun.

Until recently most of my work at "trigger control" was on 2 things: PAY ATTENTION to the sites, and strive to press the trigger strait back. So I was training my eyes and my index finger, and not much else.

What helped a TON (and this is after years of shooting this sport) is a drill I now do at home dry-firing, almost always one-handed. First I decide how tight I want to hold the gun. Then I concentrate on the fingertips of those 3 fingers that just hold the gun. I "decide" beforehand that I don't want those three fingers to move or grab or flinch in any way. Thumb, too. And that's all I care about as I watch the sites and call the shot.

I'm basically ignoring the trigger finger as I've found that it has very little ability to mess up my shots. It's all those other fingers. At the range I go back and forth between live-fire and dry-fire, teaching those other fingers (and wrists and arms and so on) that they are NOT ALLOWED to move or clench or grab before recoil and during recoil. I don't allow them to "help" with recoil at all. I use my arms to put the gun back on target - afterwords.

Manage recoil. Don't fight it. Look in Brian's store. He sells his book, Matt Burkett's dvd set, and Ron Avery's tapes. They are all worth the money.

dvc - eric - a28026

At this point, as was said, if you care to improve dry-firing is extremely critical. And then devote a substantial portion of your range time to really understand what it means to call the shot. You can have the best technique in the world, and still anticipate/jerk-the-crap-out-of-the-gun just before it fires. Learning "what it means to call" will fix that.

If you haven't seen this page in my main sight, check it out:

Principles of Fundamentals and Technique & The Call to Followthrough

Well I purchased your book online today Brian and plan on reading it cover to cover several times. I also read your post link. I tried the link to the 60/40 grip but it did not work. What is the 60/40 grip theory.

Paul

Paul,

I think the link is broken because the forum has been converted sometime in the past and some threads got lost.

However, I did a search on the forum on "grip strength" (Any date) and found some interesting thread on this subject.

Also, with this link: http://www.mattburkett.com/1.html you can find some explanation on the subject.

60/40 means holding the gun 60% with your weak hand and 40% with your strong hand.

Dry firing is good, but I found better therapy from buying a Ruger Slabside .22 bullseye pistol. Long sight radius, little recoil, very accurate. If you flinch at all, it shows up immediately. It's a good tool to condition your muscles to fire without flinch reaction becaus there is almost no recoil, yet it is actual firing.

Another good flinch detector tool is to shoot a gun with a red dot sighter. It magnifies gun movement and makes it very visible if the gun moves at all when you pull the trigger (also tells you which way it's moving). My Ruger has a dot on it and it is very easy to see if there is anticipation movement.