Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Build?

EdwardJ

I'm new to the forum just signed up to get advice and learn from the people on this forum.

I'm in the process of my first custom build will have a few questions as I go. My first question

1. I see some pretty neat ways of slide lightening holes drilled, slots cut, etc. Where do you send your slide to have this done or who does this type of service?

2. I'm also going to using the STI 2011 Tactical Rail Frame Kit, Now this could be ordered with the uncut or cut ramp. How do I know what to order or could the individual doing my cutom build do this?

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Hey EdwardJ and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that your gunsmith could order or advise you on the type of frame you want. If you're looking for custom slide cuts check out Gan's Guns, they can do anything you want. I also know that Brazos sells their slides with Bob's cuts and lightening for custom builds. Good luck and post pics when you're done.

You can go one of two routes - figure out what you want when you're done and find someone who builds that type/style or decide on who is going to build your gun and take their advice based on what they like to build and what works for them. Your gunsmith should be able to tell you a detailed list of things to order, or even easier, should be able to work with you on a parts list, and order it all himself, so in the end the only thing you do is pay him for the complete gun when it's done (may be a deposit involved).

Good luck!

~Mitch

1. I see some pretty neat ways of slide lightening holes drilled, slots cut, etc. Where do you send your slide to have this done or who does this type of service?

Any old fool with a milling machine can make holes in a slide. Heck, a drill press would do.

If you want it done proper, then find an actual smith...one that is well versed in slide lightening. It is easy enough to do wrong and compromise the strength of the slide.

As mentioned, Brazos sells a slide that is ready to go. And, Gans Guns is a great resource as well.

2. I'm also going to using the STI 2011 Tactical Rail Frame Kit, Now this could be ordered with the uncut or cut ramp. How do I know what to order or could the individual doing my cutom build do this?

That needs to be decided by your gunsmith. If you are building an STI or SV based gun (a double stack 40), then you would be well served to pick a smith that specializes in such guns.

Some smiths would prefer to cut their own ramps.

If you're having a gun custom built for USPSA (slide lightening, sub 2lb trigger, etc) really make sure you're using a gunsmith with a very good reputation and verifiable feedback.

There are gunsmiths....and then there are Gunsmiths.

Slide Lightening-Flex is 100% right that slide lightening can be judiciously done on a drill press. Did my Caspian limited gun a few years back and was extremely happy with the feel of the gun.

FY42385

I say this about Open guns and guys that build them. There are only about 5-7 guys that can TRULY build you an Open gun. By this I mean understand what each component does and why it works. The barrel timing is a critical step and is not something you just learn by watching a video.

Rich

Thanks to all those who have replied.

The type I would like to build is the Limited. I will be utlizing the the STI 2011 Tactical Rail Fram Kit or 5" Long Wide Frame undecided yet. The caliber I would like to use is .45.

I emailed Bob at Brazos and like his slide lightening, but unfortunately he doesn't do this for slides in .45 caliber.

If you are building a limited gun, get it in .40....down the road you'll kick yourself for sacrificing capacity if you opt for a .45.

John's right and I'm a 45 fan myself (see screen name). If you like Bob's comesetic work, I'd really suggest talking to him about a pistol. I shoot one of his SC's in Limited and I don't think I could have gotten a better deal. I'm not saying that there aren't PLENTY of excellent gunsmith's on the forum, I'm just partial to Bob's work.

Based on the fact that we don't know if your just new to BE or new to the sport also, I will give the advise that you will see all over this forum. Hit the local matches and see all the different options out there. Most guys will let you run a mag or two through it to try it out. Make sure you take pretty good notes on how it felt and get their load data if you can. This will give you a pretty good idea and even though it may take you a little longer to get your gun, it will be what you want the FIRST time. Once you you have figured out the the balance you want it's all cosmetic. Talk to several gunsmiths, there are several on this forum, and describe what you want in regards to performance and balance and maybe talk about cosmetics. There are smiths out there that are more flexible than most, meaning you will most likely get the performance, most important, but not the looks. Also talk price and turn around time. These two areas vary GREATLY. Why some limited guns cost 4K and six months while others 2K and one month with the only difference being is cosmetic is beyond me, but thats another story. Personally, I have dealt with Gary Natale at gansguns.com, he is a great guy to work with will listen to what you invision and will be upfront with what will and won't work. He offers numerous slide lightnening options with most on his website to see. And like the others have said. go with .40, more rounds and cheaper to shoot. Best of luck.

I would think the biggest part of having a custom gun buit would be finding the gunsmith you want to go through. I agree with everyone here, talk to a gunsmith about what you want, and what he can do for you. The main thing with building a gun is the functionality of it. I've learned that the hard way with poor gun choices in the past...

Jerry