Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Load For 6" Fat Free

Paul Burtchell

Trying to save a little $$$$. I've got a real good load for matches:( 165 grain CMJ Montana Golds with 4.9grains of TiteGroup) , but was looking for something less expensive for practice. I found 170 grain SWC KEAD lead bullets for $53.00 per 1000. Any suggestions for a good powder/load for a 6" gun for Major?

I really could not find much on the search engine for 170 grain bullets. Or would it be better to just go with 180 gr. for lead bullets??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by baerburtchell

Start at 3.8 of Clays and chrono up. Shoot Clays with lead and you won't go back to TG, it is a WORLD softer, less smoke and less leading. Unique will give you the least leading of any powder, Bullseye is another good choice if you want a soft shooting load that doesn't lead up badly.

Start at 3.8 of Clays and chrono up. Shoot Clays with lead and you won't go back to TG, it is a WORLD softer, less smoke and less leading. Unique will give you the least leading of any powder, Bullseye is another good choice if you want a soft shooting load that doesn't lead up badly.

Hey Howard... You change your tag line to the current one after you had a little bullet setback with Clays? :devil:

I use 170 grain lead Magma Engineering bullets. 1.180 OAL , 4.8 gr. WST. This is in a 5" gun so cut back a couple of tenths to start with. I bet you will end up with 4.7 gr.

All I shoot is 170gr SWC, club matches, big matches, practice etc. Can't afford the pretty stuff. 4.8 of Universal Clays. OAL 1.185. I shoot the same load in a 5 as I do my 6. 168 PF in my 5 and 169 PF in the 6. Pretty accurate too.

Leading in the barrel isn't bad at all (not as bad as TG) but get some pretty good carbon buildup around breach face after about 300 rounds. I clean after every match so it doesn't bother me.

Nah Merlin, I manage my process closely when reloading. Easily 40K rounds of Clays major 40 without a problem and ALL of the guns I have seen blown up in the last 3 years were shooting TG. I watched two blow up in the guy's hands, and top ended the third.

Get yourself a Glock with a factory barrel, and do the testing. The Glock has a 'fuse', it will blow the case with no ill effects to anything else if you drop the magazine before you shoot. You can do setback tests to see exactly how much each powder will take, you can do overcharge tests to see how much each powder will take and you can do combinations. It is a real eye opener.

• 2 weeks later...