Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major g17 sjc covertable

rupie

I wish someone in with the kkm drop in and jagger kit would give me some tips on this. I mean is like ... I hope it won't blow up... thank God it didn't ... Did I make major ... no,,, ok next load... :wacko:

Well, I have good news. I made major with the jagger open kit and the kkm drop in barrel. PF 168

No sign of dangeous pressure.

this is the load I used:

124 gr Montana Gold JHP.

7.8 (or 7.7 + or - 0.1 grain) of Hogdon HS6

winchester small rifle primers.

OAL --> 1.10 (some 1.09)

I am still right handed . lol

Now the load above works for me,,, I am using mix brass shot once. Please becareful with this load. I make no guarantees or take any responsibility if you get different results. Start with 6.8 grains and go 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, and 7.8. Always checking the case and primer for signs of overpressure, this would be my suggestion, because that's what I did. when the chrono read 1359 fps as my average speed for 3 shots. Well I stopped there and smiled. I took more shots with it and well everything held up just fine.

Btw, the recoil is almost non-existant, I mean at those higher pressures I thought I would feel a substantial difference, but it felt like I was shooting a 9mm and nothing else. Praises to the Jaggerproducts Open kit.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I wore thick leather globes and eye protection and pointed the gun down range and turned my head away in the event of a kaboom.

Edited by bobtorre

• 3 weeks later...

I have since increased the oal to 1.11 ... not that it showed hight pressure signs at 1.10, but it works fine with 0.01 inches more in length and why not. I have also switch to cci pistol primers. with my light striker it seems to go bang more reliably... no changes in fps.

Edited by bobtorre

OAL 1.11 is too short for me...considering the major factor... try running on 1.150-1.160.

Jefe,

why? Are you planning to live inside the bullet ... lol.

what does it matter? As long as it shoots safely and makes major power factor. a 1.150 - 1.160 will not feed reliably out of a glock magazine or even fit into one. Also if you manage to get the bullets inside the mag then anything above 1.145 just won't go into battery into a kkm barrel without doing some gunsmithing (aka rimming) to the chamber to expand it to fit the longer oal and then you run into the issue, well how do fit them inside the mag (which is probably why most open glock shooters I have met are using .40 caliber to make major). A kkm drop-in match supported barrel worked for yourstruly. No gunsmithing was used, no fitting and at an 1.11 with pf 168 I say it works. I just did a match in which I shot 270 of the little stubby devils... It was a day to remember.

I am only posting this since I did not find any posts outthere to help figure out a load that would work for a glock chambered in 9mm using a drop-in KKM barrel. And that would allow me to retain my 10 fingers.

Now I can't stress enough that you should start low and increase the powder and watch for signs of pressure; thick gloves and glasses may come in handy... Also I do not guarantee similar results as I have had. This is only for those lingering souls out there with Glock-17 who purchased these kits only to find out there is virtually no info on how to make major in 9mm. All they have is suggestions, warnings but at the end of the day no one person who has actually done it, or is willing to share.

;)

Edited by bobtorre

yeah man,

My opinion is load data should be worked up individualy with a chrono, and not shared. Barrels vary, and so will load data - so for safety, please use a chrono. Major 9mm in short oal is "uncharted territory". Anyone who has shot 9x21 under the old power factor of 175 in a P9 or TZ-75 has proven that 9mm major in the short OAL is safely attainable. But, chrono is a neccessity. Powder recomendations are HS-6 and WSF with a 124 or 125 JHP.

later, jager

• 2 months later...

+1 for major-9 open Glocks. :cheers:

I shot an hybrid G22 in 40 for about 5 years, then switched to 9mm using a converted G24. While I agree that a good gunsmith is the best path to any truely competative open gun, there is no reason that someone can't put together a reliable 9mm open Glock. As some have already said RESEARCH is the key, some experience and in depth knowledge of Glocks and Glock function helps too. All of the top Glock vendors will provide a lot of great information just call or e-mail them. The forums, as you know, are also a great source of knowledge.

love the gun matt and do have a question bout ur loads. i have posted up questions bout 9major asking why not use the 147s and was told it was a bad idea. what do you think bout this as it seems u are shooting 147s in ur open

OAL 1.11 is too short for me...considering the major factor... try running on 1.150-1.160.

Jefe,

why? Are you planning to live inside the bullet ... lol.

what does it matter? As long as it shoots safely and makes major power factor. a 1.150 - 1.160 will not feed reliably out of a glock magazine or even fit into one. Also if you manage to get the bullets inside the mag then anything above 1.145 just won't go into battery into a kkm barrel without doing some gunsmithing (aka rimming) to the chamber to expand it to fit the longer oal and then you run into the issue, well how do fit them inside the mag (which is probably why most open glock shooters I have met are using .40 caliber to make major). A kkm drop-in match supported barrel worked for yourstruly. No gunsmithing was used, no fitting and at an 1.11 with pf 168 I say it works. I just did a match in which I shot 270 of the little stubby devils... It was a day to remember.

I am only posting this since I did not find any posts outthere to help figure out a load that would work for a glock chambered in 9mm using a drop-in KKM barrel. And that would allow me to retain my 10 fingers.

Now I can't stress enough that you should start low and increase the powder and watch for signs of pressure; thick gloves and glasses may come in handy... Also I do not guarantee similar results as I have had. This is only for those lingering souls out there with Glock-17 who purchased these kits only to find out there is virtually no info on how to make major in 9mm. All they have is suggestions, warnings but at the end of the day no one person who has actually done it, or is willing to share.

;)

my only response is my reloads are 1.162 and run just fine out of my stock glock mags and lone wolf barrel. measuring my mags and follows i would be able to run 1.180 but that is no garruntee in the chamber just my .2c not trying to step on toes by no means

also i wanted to say to the originator of this post that if you decide to go open and have a top end for open and one for ssp or production let me know how it works as i am looking to do the same thing and i have been looking at the Jager Kits or doing my own with lone wolf parts. i knw u were asking bout slides. lone wolf sells them for them for all glocks with the ejection port already lowered and flared and front and rear serrattions. they start at 179 respectively

yeah man,

My opinion is load data should be worked up individualy with a chrono, and not shared. Barrels vary, and so will load data - so for safety, please use a chrono. Major 9mm in short oal is "uncharted territory". Anyone who has shot 9x21 under the old power factor of 175 in a P9 or TZ-75 has proven that 9mm major in the short OAL is safely attainable. But, chrono is a neccessity. Powder recomendations are HS-6 and WSF with a 124 or 125 JHP.

later, jager

I am looking into one of your kits Jager and i saw where u said WSF is a good powder choice for 9major what do u recommend starting with for this powder