Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Open comp. securing

Tester

I've done a few searches but can't find anything that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I am setting up a Glock 17 to shoot Open with a KKM barrel and an SJC aluminum comp. The KKM steel comp had set screws to hold it secure to the barrel and seeing you can't get the barrel out for cleaning with the comp on, it seemed the best way to do it. Then I got the SJC aluminum comp and came to the conclusion I had no way of fastening it down short of Lock-Tite.

The problem I have is, how do you easily and reliably hold the comp in position and still get it off to clean the barrel when you need to? I would think the aluminum comp would not like the heat needed to break down the Lock-Tite without warping the comp and damaging the threads.

How do you Open Glock shooters handle this?

Thanks for your help.

the loctite isn't hard to break free and it'll melt with a little heat applied. other than wanting to change comps or barrels i don't think i've ever removed a comp. you can clean it without removing the barrel like was said above and you ought to be able to shoot most if not all of the season without cleaning.

Thanks for all the help. I guess your telling me I keep the barrel too clean OK OK ! I thought going three matches before pulling the gun apart and cleaning it was pushing the edge, so I guess I let it get a little dirtier.

Which color/number of Lock-Tite do you recommend using? I have red, green and blue but if something works better, please let me know. I was looking at the Permatex purple because it has a lower breaking strength for those times when you would like to take the comp off.

Thanks again everyone for all you help!! :cheers:

Steve

Red Loctite #271 will hold the comp in place just fine. When you want to remove it, just hit it with a propane torch for a few seconds and the Loctite will break down. You won't damage anything unless you use too much heat for too long.

I tried red Loctite, and it didn't hold.

Drilled and tapped the comp for set screws, and put blue Loctite on all the threads. It's stayed put that way for thousands of rounds.

I have heard gunsmiths using either Loctite "sleeve bearing compound" (green?) or "Accuweld" from Brownells. Make sure the threads of both the barrel and comp are ultimately clean and free of any oil, dirt before you do the deed.

Drilled and tapped the comp for set screws, and put blue Loctite on all the threads. It's stayed put that way for thousands of rounds.

How long did you let it set after puting it on with the red Locktite? I installed an aluminum comp on a Glock and a couple of comps on ARs with Locktite 271 and they've been fine.

How long did you let it set after puting it on with the red Locktite? I installed an aluminum comp on a Glock and a couple of comps on ARs with Locktite 271 and they've been fine.

The tube says to let it cure for 24 hours, IIRC. I'm used to using a safety factor of 1.5, so I'm sure I left it at least 36 hours.

Thanks for all the help. I guess your telling me I keep the barrel too clean OK OK ! I thought going three matches before pulling the gun apart and cleaning it was pushing the edge, so I guess I let it get a little dirtier.

You are aware that it's a GLOCK right? I've gone half a shooting season without cleaning, with no ill effects. I just cleaned it cause it felt wrong not to, but my Glock didn't seem to mind.

The comp on my SJC open gun started coming loose at a match 2 weeks ago in Colorado.

When I called them to ask about a fix for it they told me to reseat it using Hi-Temp Red Loctite #272.

This is what they started using on all of the guns that they are building 6 months ago.

And they have not had any issues with their comps since.