Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack magwells, anything new?

Hello: I am looking to build a single stack for USPSA and IDPA in 40S&W. I was just wondering if there are any new wiz bang magwells out there. I know of the SVI and TechWell magwells as well as the old faithful S&A ones. I was just looking for the magic one :cheers: Pics would be great. Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric,

I've got Merlin's old aluminum SV magwell on my Spartan and I could not be happier. I use the McCormick 8 round power mags with extended base pads. Fits both USPSA and IDPA boxes.... Just barely ;). I feel I can do reloads as quickly with it as I do with my Dawson Ice magwell on my limited gun and no problems fully seating the mags.

For something different have you thought about baseing the build off of a Caspian Race Ready frame with the intergrated magwell??

Edited by baerburtchell

Hello: I thought of a Race Ready frame but wanted to use either a SVI or STI single stack frame. I love the look of the race ready though. I have a SVI slide coming and kinda wanted to match that but noticed SVI doesn't sell just frames anymore. I guess that makes my uncut SVI 2011 frame a jewel :D . I am steering towards the SVI just because it just goes on with no mods. Thanks, Eric

Techwell Carry is where it's at. Combined with some DE pads shaved to fit in the box. I had the XT (biggest) one for a while. It's nice, but unnecessary. The Carry is slightly larger and deeper than an S&A, but WAY lighter - I love the way it balances.

i use the medium techwell on my kimber custom II and love it...i love the aggressive texture of the aluma-grips that holds it in place as well...but thats all old news....still basically the same ones youve mentioned that ive seen...although me and my buddy are the only ones out of like 30 shooting single stack lol

Any way to use a Techwell WITHOUT their grips?

Mill out your grips like they do their grips. I think if you don't have access to a mill, you can send them grips and they will mill them for you(for a fee). I don't know if wood type grips are hard enough, but definately the g10 laminate stuff works.

Hello: The TechWell magwell uses a groove cut in the grip to hold it on. I have been thinking of buying just the magwell and milling the Horned Lizard grips to fit the magwell. I think you could use wood grips if the wood has a good grain and hard. Sorry for the miss wording of the SVI frame, it is just a double stack frame then :D Thanks, Eric