Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LWD Conversion barel & CCF frame FTE

USCSBarney

Here is my setup:

CCF SS Frame

Caspian G35 Slide

LWD M35 Converstion to 9mm barrel

Glock OEM internals (ejector, guide rod, etc.).

I am having FTE problems regardless of older or newer mags. It doesn't happen every round but about every 6th or 7th round. Doesn't really seem to matter if the gun is sqeecky clean or a little dirty.

I am planning on getting either a LWD or some other dropin 40S&W barrel to use the set up as my backup Limited gun but don't want to invest the money until I have the current problem solved.

The round will fire but the empty case is left setting in the barrel with the next round up under it unable to load. My local gunsmith, who is not a Glocksmith, says he thinks that I should use a 9mm extractor as the 40 extractor now in place seems to be marking high on the brass and either skipping over or around the case rim.

Have talked to LWD and they only said to shoot some +P through it which has not solved the problem after 75 rounds of it. My local gunsmith, who is not a Glocksmith, says he thinks that

Does anyone have any suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

:)

Welcome to the forum!

WOW....that is some configuration.

Yes, it might very well be the ammo.

But, may I ask when did this malfunction begin?

Was your gun assembled all at once with these parts?

I only can suggest that if possible re-assemble

the G35 and test fire after each "add-on" is installed.

Theory being you'll isolate the stoppage.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

Its common for G35s with the 9mm conversion barrels to only run about 98%..... usually changing the extractor to a 9mm one, as well as the ejector to a 9mm one, solves most problems.

Jimmy,

The gun is a build that was assembled with the parts listed. Theory being, practice with 9mm, switch the barel to 40 and shoot the match. Originally had a 9mm ejector in it but there was enough of a clearance problem with the 35 slide that I went ahead and put the 40 on in. The slide seems to have full travel over the full length. The reoccuring problem is the slide just leaves the fired case it the barel. Putting the 75 or so +P seemded to extend the number of rounds (i.e. went from every 5 rounds to every 7 or 8 at times) but that is all.

LWD seemed to think that the +P would work the kinks out but I don't think it would take more than I have put through it. It has had probably 250 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr through it as well. A friend said his LWD regular barell had to be bored out slightly but LWD did seem to think that was a problem. The rounds will come out with a little shaking once the slide is locked back and the mag dropped but this is obviously not a way to shoot any match.

Have thought it could be the barel but am aprehensive to buy a 40 barrel if I don't know the problem I am having now. I have also heard that the conversion barrels are not 100% but not this bad.

Any more help would be appreciative guys.

Lawman,

Was your Caspian milled real tight? When I originally go the slide the barrel channel was so tight I could not even get the barell into it. Had to send back to Caspian and wait about a month and an half. Did not think it could be the extractor cut.

What did you do to correct the problem? Polish or dremmel? Thanks.

Caspian had (has?) some problems with getting the Glock slides dimensionally correct. Striker Channels drilled off center etc. I didn't fix mine, I sold it. The guy I sold it to told me about the extractor cut being wrong. He said he opened it up (whatever that means) and the gun ran fine until the slide cracked (it was pretty extensively lightened for use with Minor ammo only). My suggestion would be to hook up with a Glock shooter who has a 35 and start switching parts. Put your slide on his frame. If you're still having issues, you've excluded the CCF. Next try his bbl in your slide. If the gun still doesn't run, you kind of left with the slide. You're actually lucky the gun pukes that often. The ones where it only malfs once in 500 rounds are a pain to identify.

I run a CCF SS also, have had entertainment with it, do CCF search. Extractor should be 9mm old style NLCI type, extractor spring plastic buffer should be white .40 s&w style. This is not cure all, I still had FTE's (can pull case out of chamber with finger) so I increased PF and decreased OAL. Now I do not use anything over 1.115 and it extracts fine for 2-3 months then the extractor cracks in half on lower edge, 3 so far. I also ensure extractor is clean before matches. Have G34 top end on mine and use either factory barrel or KKM 6" that has been milled by Robar to ensure it doesn't break lugs. And yes if you can swap a G34\G35 slide on there try it out. Good luck...

Thanks guys.

My boss actually ordered a CCF as well but just put his Glock 34 top end on it and everything runs fine. I will try switching out the extractor. That seems to be the most likely source of the problem. That is what my boss and I were thinking as the marks on the cases seem to show that the extractor is hitting high on the case to start and pulling down past the rim. We may have to play with it to get it to like up right with the 9mm extractor. Really makes me wonder about Caspian though especially after sending it back to them to fix the barell channel problem. Thought they were better than this. I did play with it a little last night and the channel cut for the extractor does seem to be fine. At least the extractor moves under finger pressure.

If anyone knows where to find an old style extractor please let me know. I get almost all of my parts from Brownells.

Will post an update as soon as I get a chance to try the fix. Will be out on the range next week.

I had a similar issue with my SS CCF and G34 upper. I was using an LCI extractor and SLB for LCI (both came with the G34). The fix was to replace the SLB with an old style one (NLCI). The NLCI bearing is a bit longer than the 9mm LCI SLB and longer than the .40 LCI SLB thus, increasing extractor tension.

Since making the change I have not experienced any more FTEs. I believe the Glock part number for the NLCI SLB is 1176.

Chuck,

I was kinda feeling that they might have got that striker channel squared away when they came out with their latest batch of Glock slides (a year or so ago)??? Any info on that? (I've not handled one, so i have no clue.)

Chuck,

I was kinda feeling that they might have got that striker channel squared away when they came out with their latest batch of Glock slides (a year or so ago)??? Any info on that? (I've not handled one, so i have no clue.)

Last I heard was that they were still out of spec. That came from the gunsmith building my gun this spring.

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to getting back to this little experiment. Have only put about 100 or so various rounds through it after I replaced the 9mm extractor with a 40S&W one but seems to run fine now. No FTE's at all. Easiest fix to a problem that drove me nuts.

I have got to stop posting when I am doped up on Cold/Cough medicine. Was originally using a 40S&W extractor with the 9mm conversion barell. Switched it to a 9mm extractor and seems to work fine. Have a 40S&W ejector in there and the barell seems to work just like Lone Wolf claims in that regard.