Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement - low and quick

UW Mitch

I've been jogging to generally keep in shape and I'm relatively fit. In watching through my Area 1 match videos the biggest thing that I noticed between the way the top shooters move and the way I'm tending to move is they get low and move with quick short steps. Makes sense to me why this is better than standing talk and trying to move.

What are some good techniques for practicing this? I can't remember which video or website I saw it on, but the drill was to practice walking around low with a half filled water bottle upside down - you move to hold the water from sloshing. Any other good drills?

Thanks,

Mitch

I have used the water trick and works well. I also find that I move better if I keep my weight back on my heels. The biggest issue I have is I drop the gun from my line of sight in-between targets when moving and that costs me time.

95% of the time, the problem isn't in the getting low or even moving low, it's in the staying low when you get where you're going.

Video will tell you the story very quickly, especially if you slow it down some.

The idea IMO of moving low is that your center of gravity is lowered therefore you are more stable/balanced and you do not "bounce" as much so you have a better chance of making quality shots on the move. once you get to your next shooting position you are under more control to engage targets there.

Richard

The idea IMO of moving low is that your center of gravity is lowered therefore you are more stable/balanced and you do not "bounce" as much so you have a better chance of making quality shots on the move. once you get to your next shooting position you are under more control to engage targets there.

That is very true but in the next position you still need to stay aggressive. Also - standing up costs time. Not much, but everything we do in this sport down to the hundredths of a second adds up.