Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for .45 major

John Tuley

OK, so I just spent half an hour searching the forum with no luck. I'm happy to blame my lack of search-fu, so any help in directing me to improve my search (or answer the below question directly) will be much appreciated.

I've just made a friend who offered to let me load some .45 on his press, using his components. He has a variety of options available, particularly in terms of powders, but before I head over and get started he wants to know what I want to load, so that we don't waste a whole lot of time. (Time experimenting with different loads is of course ok.)

I'm looking to set up a major-plus-a-little (PF 166-168, maybe?) load for my USP tactical (5.25" bbl). I've read that with Glocks and their polygonal barrels, it's best to avoid lead bullets and stick with jacketed (is this true?); the HK has a similar bore profile so I'm going to assume that applies here as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a load to start with? Failing that, advice on where/how to look for good load data that will suit my needs? My friend has several reloading manuals, but I have zero reloading experience and so I'm unsure of how to get started. (Obviously he is an experienced reloader, but not with IPSC/USPSA requirements).

Is it better to go with a 230gr round and push it slowly, or a 185/200gr and make it snappier? Almost all of my experience with .45 has been WWB/Blazer Brass/American Eagle (i.e., factory loads, PFs around 200), so I don't have any basis of comparison for whether to go with the "pushy" or "snappy" setup on .45. I have shot 9mm and .40, and I think I like the snappy feel, so I'd prefer to start in that direction, but I'm not sure if I have immediate access to light bullets.

Anything to get me pointed in the right direction would be very helpful, thanks!

-- John.

John,

Ask your friend if you can borrow one of his reloading manuals for a few days. That will give you some time to read up on the topic and be able to make more informed choices. It will make you more comfortable when you are in front of the press because you will know what to expect. Pick the most recently published book he has. This will also give you powder and bullet options to go shopping for in your area. For .45 I have always liked Unique but I have been using quite a bit of Win 231 for both 40S&W and .45. I plan on trying Solo 1000 next.

ETA: Download the manual for the type of press he has too.

Good luck.

Edited by NC Shooter

230 FMJ

1.250" oal

Federal 150 primer

3.9 grains CLAYS

168PF in the GLOCK 21 factory barrel

166.8 power factor in the Glock 21 storm lake barrel.

If you can shoot lead, WST is the king. Clean burning and cheap. IT smokes the least of any powder ive tried.

I like titegroup and 230s at major, they just are dirty...but it has a nice recoil impulse and is super accurate.

harmon

What's the consensus on copper-plated lead, instead of jacketed? My friend says he has a pile of plated, but if necessary I'll order up something else.

As always, thanks for everyone's time and input!

-- John.

OLD major 45 load was 7.x of 231 with a 200gr SWC

with due respect, did you mean 5.7gr of 231....cause 7+ grains is way over max.....

That's why you start with a published reloading manual and work your way up testing. Chrono and look for signs of over-pressure like primers flowing. I use Clays and a 230 gr moly-coated bullet for a 175 pf in my 5" 1911 SS. it's a nice soft recoiling load. The only issue I've run into with Clays is that it's not a consistently linear powder, it seems to spike. I can make a 164 pf or a 175 pf with a 1/10 gr difference in powder charge and yet I can get 160 - 164 with a 1/10 and I can get 175 - 178 with a 1/10. I can't hit 170. Other people I've talked to have also told me that they have the same experience with Clays. It doesn't really matter to me because I can't tell the difference between 170 and 175 and my gun runs every time with my load. The same load can give different results in different guns, climates, components that's why you're better off "working up" a specific load for your gun and components using a manual for your starting point. Clays and 231 are good starting powders for 45 in my experience.

There is only one powder king of the 45 ACP round, Clays. With either a 200 or 230 gr lead or jacketed round Clays just cannot be beat.

+1000

I liked VV N320 with a 200gr. pill too, but the Clays load is just as good in feel and almost as good in cleanliness. As much of a PITA it is to get VV powders locally, I'll stick with Clays.

A few that have worked well for me....

the already mentioned 200g lswc w/ 5.7 of Win 231

200g lswc w/ 5.2 of solo 1000

200g lswc w/ 5.2of AA-2

230g lrn w/ 4.6 of WST all with win LP

Nothing terribly original or magical...

Hope that helps

www.northtexastactical.com

Edited by Hany

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

get a manual, or use manufacturers data on their websites! not doing this is a definite DQ'able offense! only pay attention to forum(this ain't the only one) reloading data when you know what your doing, and then only for educated comparison to what you already know. do your own experimenting with published manufactures data! rant off.....

it's all good......i just go off sometimes, cause' i read some real dumb stuff on reloading threads, potentially dangerous. uneducated reloaders, i guess i should say inexperienced reloaders, can take bad dope and go KABOOM....... and i really don't pretend to be an authority, cause' i really don't think anybody is, there's just too many variables. i just like to experiment, but you just have to learn how to do this, and using forum BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, data ain't the way to do it. maybe if i know the person, i might try his recipe, but even then with a grain of salt...........