Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor Cycle problem

I just bought a new STI Trubor. I know it recomands and is tuned for 9mm major ammunitions, but I wanted to try regular 9mm minors. I was told some STI's function ok with the 9mm minor. However, when I shot the pistol with 9mm minor ammo, the gun would not cycle. I had to rack the slide everytime. I was just curious if this is a positive malfuntion due to minor 9mm ammo and not another problem. At the time, I do not have any 9mm major ammo.

As easy as the slide is to rack on the Trubor I figured it would function properly with 9mm minor ammo, but guess not. Hope that is really the problem though.

Any help???

Hey man I have a trubor that runs factory ball winchester white box with a 10 lb recoil spring (ISMI), but we have an S1 Comp. (2holes and a bleeder)

Consider these factors as well:

Are you limpwristing the gun?

Do you have an adequate molecular layer of oil or a grease?

What comp do you have?

I would try to spring the gun differently with a 9 or 10 lb recoil spring.

Also hopefully your mags are set up correctly to run 9 correctly.

You probably have to run a lighter spring. My JPL 9 runs major AWESOME, but minor just "so so". Some factory ammo it won't cycle without a lighter spring. And with minor ammo, the comp doesn't get enough gas so the gun felt bouncy. Major ammo and the dot tracks very flat.

~Mitch

STI pretty much does state those guns are for major ammo.

a 10lb spring comes from the factory with them. I run a 9lb in my gun with major loads. With minor stuff I have to drop to an 8 or lighter depending on caliber. Given that I also can not load my mags to capacity or it slows the slide enough to create problems.

First thing to consider is what comp is on the gun. The larger the comp the more weight it contributes to coming out of lockup effectively. The smaller 2 port comps are designed for minor weight ammo and should unlock a bit better.

atlanta arms does sell loaded major 9 ammo called .355 super I believe. I have tested and shot it through my open gun and was impressed.

The gun is brand new. I tryed it with the standard guiderod and spring. I will try it tomarrow with the light recoil master in it.

Also, I tryed it with reloads. My first time reloading, so they may have been week reloads.

Even a light Recoil Master is likely too heavy. A standard guide rod with a 7 or 8lb spring will probably work okay. Even with full major (like 170PF) most Open guns don't run much above a 9 or 10lb spring. R,

Yes, provided it does not coil bind, if it coil binds it will break something, probably something expensive. If you aren't sure what coil bind is or how to check for it run a search on 'coil bind' and my username, I have explained it before. If that doesn't work let me know and I will talk you through it.

OK. Last night I put the light recoil Master is the trubor and I used new store bought 9mm's. The gun still did not cycle, but the slide would jam back a little. So, now I know it is at least trying to eject/cycle now.

I have a guy that reloads 9mm major power factor, so I am probably going to just have him to reload me so 9mm majors. I will most likely try to get a 8 pound recoil spring and keep it in my range bag so if I have to use reg 9mm's I can swith out springs.

I'd use caution in taking someone else's 9mm major ammo and running it through your gun. No disrespect to your friend but what may be "major" in his gun may be WAY major in yours! You mentioned trying your own reloads. You might try working up the powder charge on your own loads and use a chronograph to see where you're at with respect to power factor.

Just my 2 pennys....

Thomas

Last night one of the league shooters was using Fiochi 115gr 9mm that was LOUD. His wife gave me 10 rounds to try in my open gun, and it felt very much similar to my major ammo. If you can find some of this ammo, I think it would run great for you...or the 8# spring.

Well the guy I was talking about that reloads major is a professional reloader. He knows what he is doing. He loads 10,000 rounds at a time for a guy I shoot with that has an older STI, but simular to mine.

As for the #8 spring, what brand, where to buy at, or part #?

STI's lowest spring wieght is 9 pound. So any suggestions?

• 4 months later...

Well, I finally got the STI cycling. I just have to use Major loads. I put about 500 rounds of 9mm Major through it flawlessly. I tried regular 9mm and cycles so so. Jams every now and then. I'm sure with a lighter spring I could run 9mm minor.

Mike or Chuck at Shooters Connection can fix you up. www.shootersconnection.com