Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS6 load for Bedell Shorty 38 Supercomp

NogNog

I have been experimenting loads in my Bedell Shorty 38SC 7-port non-hybrid KKM bbl. I have tried 3N37, N350, SR4756 & 7625. A buddy gave me 1/4 lb of his HS 6 to try. I loaded around 100 rounds of HS-6 in 8.1-grns powder charge behind .355 125 grn zero and MGB. with OAL of 1.250. I like the feel/softness in terms of recoil of this powder in my open gun. I am not sure what the PF was since I did not bother to chrono the HS-6 load because it was just a trial load. With the trial 100-rds I shot, I got interested in developing a load using HS-6, but I wanted to consult the experienced open gun shooters regarding this powder. Could anyone give me their experience with the HS-6 and maybe provide me a specific working load they are using? Any Bedell shorty shooter using HS-6 load around here?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Nog2 :)

It's not a bad powder, but it can be a little dirty. Deciding how "soft" a load feels without knowing the PF doesn't mean much. Some feel incredible at 160 and and then get harsh at 170...just hard to tell without knowing what you really have. R

Edit to add: From what I recall, you should need more like 9gr of HS6 to make major with that bullet and OAL.

Edited by G-ManBart

I load my 9mm at 1.190 so case volume is close to a super at that length. I am running 8.7 to make 172 pf with a 121mg.

Yours is a 5" gun right? That's why I was thinking something around 9gr might be more like it. R,

I can't say what a "shorty" will require but after getting my new 9 mjr fullsize from Bedell last week I loaded 5 different loads for testing with HS-6. I was very impressed with the consistency. All rounds at 1.178, 124grain MG bullets. 7.9 yeilded 168PF and every tenth of a grain moved the PF up by about 1. Other than being a little dirty, I am impressed indeed!!

Start at 8.4 and chrono up. I actually saw a better dot track and the powder go from ludicrously dirty to just filthy as I went up in power factor. Mid to upper 170's in Super worked best in a Bedell comp short gun for me, didn't have time to push it up but would like to take it to at least 185pf.