Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back To The Fundamental

benos

I received a request in an email from a guy who was desperately seeking help for his friend, and Sportsman's Team Challenge shooting partner. It seems his accuracy has degraded to the point to where he basically just sprays (.22) rounds at the targets. If he ever actually knocks one over it's basically luck.

I thought, since I enjoy repeating myself, I'd paste in my reply here.

;)

From listening to your description of your friend, it's obvious that he's about as far off track as he could get, for what he needs to do. Until he FULLY COMPREHENDS what it means to "call each shot with precision," I'd recommend ALL his practice be guided by the "Call to followthrough" article at this link:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/words.html#expanded

Print it, and then you and him discuss it together, forever if necessary, until you are sure he understands what it means.

It's not possible to predictably or reliably hit the targets in the STC by "hoping," spraying, wishing, or by any means other than deliberate, accurate, controlled fire.

If you're "approach" is incorrect for the job at hand, you have no chance of succeeding whatsoever.

Have him gear all his practice toward "calling." Forget the concept of time altogether, and instead have him do the following practice until he "get's it."

Shoot at a 5" (or 6") paper plate at 25 yds, one shot at a time, for 5 shots. With the GOAL being to shoot the smallest group possible, regardless of how long it takes him. He can lower the gun between each shot or hold it in position, it doesn't matter. You're just trying to shoot the smallest group possible. Shoot 5 shots and tape or switch the target and start over. Keep the target with the smallest group for reference, and keep trying to beat it.

Once he can shoot a 1.5 to 2" freestyle standing group, reliably, then he you can bring in the time element. Shoot the smallest group possible with a 60 second time limit, for example. But once shots start to stray outside a 4" group, then return to the exercise of shooting the smallest group possible, with no time limit.

If he seriously applies himself to this, this should return him to the primary fundamental of shooting - which is to KNOW, at the instant the shot fires, exactly where it will hit the target. (Before it hits the target.)

I hope this helps. Have fun and stay sharp!

;)

brian

oh oh.... 1.5 in group at 25 y standing? That's the limit of my gun/ammo accuracy, do you really want him to shoot *that* well before bringing in time? This is like TGO's definition of a person worthy of owning a handgun (capable of 6 shots in the A at 25 y in 5 sec or less, posted here somewhere, I think), I don't qualify :(

--Detlef

Detlef, don't lose hope, maybe someday you will be worthy (by TGO's def) to own a gun. It isn't easy, but it is very achievable. 2 second draw and .6 splits will get you there. Never give up, or at least empty your mags trying.

1.5" - 2" groups at 25' standing are world class in my book.

L2S, ta' for the kind words. I am not ready to give up, and occasionally I manage, but my definition of *capable* at this point is *4 times in a row, on demand*. Still waiting...

Brian, what about keeping it on a 10" plate and then bringing in the time? At 25, obviously he then already understand the relation between sights and trigger, but I'm afraid if we insisted on 1.5-2" the poor chap would simply give up and never come back... Or is there more to this story than we would know?

--Detlef

How about a 10" plates @ 15 yards, that is a solid hit on an IPSC target. For a beginner that is a good shot when you can do it solid.

Franks Garcia gave me the goal of 6 shots 6 seconds upper a/b @ 25 yards 3 times in a row. I get it some days, somedays it just p*sses me of :) but if it were easy...

warpspeed, you've nailed it. And us dummies got all excited...

L2S: must not have been the same Frank Garcia that gave me *6 A hits in 6 sec* as Limited GM goal from 25 y. You can do upper A/B in that time? Open or Limited? Are you a GM? Hat off (but I wanna see...)

--Detlef

Actually, I was talking/thinking of a Aimpoint sighted .22 pistol, like the one I shot in the Team Challenge. It is crazy accurate; it would shoot a group about the size of your finger nail at 25 yards. I could easily shoot 2" with it at 25 yards. And you really should be able to if you expect to hit a 4" (at that distance) plate every time you pull the trigger. And what about shooting the 4" plates, in the Combo Event, with a pistol, at 45, 50, and 60 yds. You'd better be able to hold a fairly tight group for those babies.

In the beginning, for years, I opened and closed most every practice session with the "shoot the smallest 5 shot group possible" at 25 yards drill. The smallest group I ever shot was 1 5/8". And I shot quite a few of those, but I never could shoot one smaller. (This was with a SS .45, and was as good as I could shoot it off the bench.) Funny thing was - I remember talking to Mickey Fowler about this one year at the Shot Show, and he said he did the exact same drill. And the smallest group he ever shot was 1 5/8" as well. How crazy is that!

Okay, maybe I over-emphasized the accuracy requirement. But I was just attempting to push him to reach a level (of calm calling) that maybe he's never experienced.

So there.

:)

Detlef,

That is open, and that was the drill he gave us 2 years ago here in Orgon. Just because somone can do it doesn't mean they are a GM or deserve to be. There is much more to GM than a standing 6 round drill. This is easier for me than the bill drill. Personally I find the upper a/b drill easier than all a's on the big zone because the aiming reference for me is easier on the upper a/b on the middle A zone there is less distinction between and A and C, I know when I blow a shot on the upper a/b. If you want to see it I can video it for you because I start and end nearly every practice with that drill. It is very boring to watch but if you would like to see it I can show you.

I really like shooting the .22 in a format that will allow fingernail sized groups. When shooting the team challenge targets I have to remember 2 basic things, or I will start having misses. The first is obvious to anyone on this forum for more than 1 day. You must see the target exactly where you want the bullet to go........exactly..

Sometimes when I am shooting good and fast, I see the target, let the shot go, know where the sights were when the shot broke, but, I started moving to the next target a little early (I know you can't break the shot and move at the same time, but that is how it seems to me). I feel like I must hold on the target just a little longer after the bullet is on the way. If I do this, everything falls. It also take a little getting used to shooting "thru" a target to hit a target, and this can be visually distracting.

Mike

• 3 years later...
How about a 10" plates @ 15 yards, that is a solid hit on an IPSC target. For a beginner that is a good shot when you can do it solid.

Franks Garcia gave me the goal of 6 shots 6 seconds upper a/b @ 25 yards 3 times in a row. I get it some days, somedays it just p*sses me of :) but if it were easy...

I have been practiing this drill a lot lately after I read about it, and it is excellent. My question is do you start from a draw? (the 25 yard a/b zone drill)

Side note:I tore the head off an IPSC target and use it as a spray paint template on a piece of stationary steel and it really improved the efficiency of practice by shooting this drill on steel.

Challenge time ?

Man...

How many of you read Brian's post in 2003 ?

Are you calling the shot now ? (If you aren't sure, then you are probably stuck in B-class...maybe low A...or lower.)

Everybody that has been on this forum for a while ought to be...well...better now.

I am sure there are some that truly don't care about their performance. And, that is cool. Anderson puts it pretty well though...if you look at the scores...if you get upset about a bad run...you care. How every much you might tell yourself different, you probably want to do better.

Take a minute. Look in the mirror if you want. Ask yourself if you want to do...BETTER. Really, stop and ask yourself. Take a deep breath. Find the answer.

If you do want to be better. Decide to do so. Just plain decide.

Forget posting pictures of your dog and your wife...telling jokes...asking how your computer works...learn to call the shot !!! If there is any hidden mojo to this stuff, calling the shot is IT.

It's not too hard. We will help.

Challenge time ?

Man...

How many of you read Brian's post in 2003 ?

Are you calling the shot now ? (If you aren't sure, then you are probably stuck in B-class...maybe low A...or lower.)

Everybody that has been on this forum for a while ought to be...well...better now.

I am sure there are some that truly don't care about their performance. And, that is cool. Anderson puts it pretty well though...if you look at the scores...if you get upset about a bad run...you care. How every much you might tell yourself different, you probably want to do better.

Take a minute. Look in the mirror if you want. Ask yourself if you want to do...BETTER. Really, stop and ask yourself. Take a deep breath. Find the answer.

If you do want to be better. Decide to do so. Just plain decide.

Forget posting pictures of your dog and your wife...telling jokes...asking how your computer works...learn to call the shot !!! If there is any hidden mojo to this stuff, calling the shot is IT.

It's not too hard. We will help.

Uh, Ok .....So do you start from a draw?