Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Alignment Vs. Sight Picture

The Matt Burkett Tape/DVD 1-3 Brian Enos interview has a great part I missed the first time about

Sight Picture vs. Sight Alignment

He talks about the differences.

So many times we have a good sight picture, but we miss our intended target because we don't have sight alignment.

We see the front sight and the rear sights on the target, but they aren't properly aligned.

Going back to production from open, this is definitely happening to me.

Or was... :)

SA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to the Springfield Challenge in Memphis TN sept 6&7.

I asked TGO if he focused on the front sight or the target he said you must see everthing not just one thing. This made perfect sense to me! (Target, Front sight, rear sight).

Bkeeler

Now, I´m shooting both Open and Limited.

I feel that the perfect limited sight aligment corresponds to the Open Red Dot.

The Open shooters don´t have this problem because the red dot don´t missaligment never... so for them the sight picture is more consistent.

So the sight picture is more easy to aquire and support...

Ramos

I went to the Springfield Challenge in Memphis TN sept 6&7.

I asked TGO if he focused on the front sight or the target he said you must see everthing not just one thing. This made perfect sense to me! (Target, Front sight, rear sight).

Bkeeler

Or: See sights. Aligned? YES. Focus on target and move gun to correct position. Fire.

If you "lock the hands" after the sights are aligned, the alignment is not likely to change as your shoulder muscles make the ultra fine adjustment to get the gun on target.

Now, I´m shooting both Open and Limited.

I feel that the perfect limited sight aligment corresponds to the Open Red Dot.

The Open shooters don´t have this problem because the red dot don´t missaligment never... so for them the sight picture is more consistent.

So the sight picture is more easy to aquire and support...

Ramos

I'm shooting open and stock with the same gun five minutes apart (I just take the dot sight off and the stock sights stay on all the time). Red dots are great but have the old "dot dazzle" where you can get hypnotized and paralyzed trying to get the dot to be exactly on the center of the bullseye. I shoot much more relaxed across the iron sights because I don't see the tiny gun movement that the red dot shows up so visibly. Of course I still shoot higher scores with the red dot.......... duhhh! But I have shot a couple of perfect scores with the iron sights so at least I know what I should be shooting.

As it realtes to IPSC shooting, I always have thought of sight picture and sight alignment as the same thing. I know what sight alignment I need for a given target, and when I have that I have my sight picture. Sight Picture = correct Sight Alignment. Gun goes boom.

• 1 month later...

More apparent to rifle shooters,

But errors in sight picture do not get worse with increasing distance (if the sights are aligned, but in the wrong place on the target, you'll still hit that place no matter how far away you are). If you have an error in sight alignment, the effect will increase with distance to the target (you can hit a "C" with misaligned sights at 5 yards, but at 25, you will be far off the paper).

Sight alignment becomes more and more important relative to sight picture as distance increases. Brian's discussion of different types of focus (Type 1 to 5) is partly a ramification of this--you can focus on the target when it is close and still hit, but you really need to look at the sights when the target is far away.

DogmaDog