Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History

xcount

X

Pursuant to your post in "A disturbing trend" I looked on IDPA.com to see when the first matches started. Looks like Feb/March of 97'. I was at the Shot Show in 96' when Bill and Ken were drumming up interest. It definitly plays into your analysis of the drop off of IPSC in 96' because IDPA was coming into its own at that time.

JB

OK, the old guy gives some more history. :mellow:

Around 1996 all the pistol shooting sports took expensive specialized equipment. USPSA, Bianchi, Masters, Bowling Pins and I may have missed a few. Bill Wilson decided to start another shooting sport that REQUIRED less expensive equipment; the sort of self defense handgun that most shooters already had. The rules were designed to avoid an arms race. About the only race that has happened is in holsters. Now many use Kydex. :rolleyes:

They had a match in 1996 to present the sport to the shooting media. The first Nationals was in 1997.

The rules have stayed pretty much the same. A little tweaking here and there to correct any things that were overlooked in the beginning.

I think at this time IDPA and USPSA each have around 10,000 paid up members. I know some have dual memberships. I do.

The classifier was designed one afternoon at Fort Harmar Rifle Club when the original BOD got together after a match.

Does this help? I have more if anyone has questions.

Bill Nesbitt

IDPA # A-282

Bill

Why the paranoia in the IDPA camp about anything that even smells of IPSC. I understand the arms race, I did it during the IPSC wars from '78 thru '86 when I shot it. Wouldn't want to do it again. I have had the SO training, and am a 3 gun Master, with several State titles, but I don't have the chance to rub shoulders with some of the Board members like you do.

I always thought that Wilson, Hackathorn et al, must have had some falling out with the IPSC powers, or Jeff Cooper personally, and that was the reason that they took such a hardline stance about some really piddling things, like wearing cleats on muddy courses, exposed knee pads, the 7 or 8 round CDP mag issue, the arbitrary FTDR issue, and the fact that the LGB really doesn't mean squat, if the MD says so. Can you give me some insight that will help me understand the reasoning on some of these issues. I like the game but haven't shot in a match in nearly 9 months because of all the petty squabbling and the issues with the rules. I have my renewal on the desk right now and am tempted to let it lapse and pick up my fly rod unless you or someone else can give me a clue that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the train.

Thanks

AO5602

The following is only my opinion. :P

I don't see a lot of paranoia about IPSC/IDPA where I shoot locally or at the IDPA State matches or at the IDPA Nationals. It does exist but I think the majority of IDPA shooters ignore it. I will see or hear very few individuals bad mouthing IPSC. Many people I know shoot both sports. :D

I don't think Wilson, Hackathorn etc had a falling out with anybody. I just think they didn't like the direction IPSC/USPSA was taking in leaving the personal defense roots behind and becoming more of a game. Jeff Cooper also wanted to resign from IPSC.

As far as some of the IDPA equipment rules, I just think they wanted to stay off the slippery slope that IPSC had slid down. They said if you really would wear it on the street then it was OK with a few safety exceptions like shoulder holsters etc that aren't as safe on a 180 range. The 7/8 round mag rule is just that a shooter should pick one capacity and stick with it for the whole match and don't change just for a competitive advantage on one stage.

I think many problems are only at local clubs or perceived problems from internet discussion groups. :D Maybe I have a problem understanding but I think the LGB is pretty clear about many things. It still needs some work in clarifying a few things. I am a Safety Officer Trainer. I have spent a LOT of time with the LGB studying it in order to be a good trainer. It is a little disorganized. B) But I think it has a good set of rules where the stage designer can have some free rein in designing interesting, relevant courses.

I teach that the FTDR should almost never be used. An honest mistake only gets a 3 second procedural penalty. There are some examples of when FTDR should be given and it is only when someone actually is cheating.

If the MD says the LGB doesn't mean squat then he is not putting on an IDPA match. :angry: I find it pretty easy to design stages that follow the rules in IDPA and USPSA both. I have designed stages that can be shot in both sports without any changes except what kind of scoring is used. :D

I really don't see any animosity between the sports until I get on the internet. ;)

Bill Nesbitt

Bill Nesbitt...IDPA SO trainer...and designer and RO of Stage 8 at THE Buckeye Blast, a USPSA Major Sanctioned match and part of the Point Series Championship.

...but, most of all...Bill is a shooter (and a darn good one)...an asset to the shooting sports.

Bill:

I too rarely see any animosity between the two sports until I get on one of the shooting forums. I shoot both as do a lot of other folks around here. I know guys who shoot one or the other but not both because they simply prefer one over the other.

It seems like guys who prefer IPSC like the higher round count, freedom to shoot any way they like, and they feel IPSC is more fun. Guys who prefer IDPA typically like the accuracy requirements, are more defensive oriented in their shooting, and it meets their needs. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want to bash either sport because they are both fantastic in their own way.

Stage 8 at the Buckeye Blast was originally designed as an IDPA stage. 

Who is the bastard that added the hard-cover??? ;)

I know of at least one A-class Limited glock shooter that lost 15 points because of the black stuff. <_<

ps: Flex, thanks for the kind words.

It's nothing for me to say. You earned them!

I agree...a well run match is a well run match. USPSA...IDPA...if it has well designed stages and a good staff...that is most of the battle.

I did have a buddy message me last week with some excerpts from American Handgunner...from a few years back. I had a hard time believing the out and out...blantant...IPSC bashing that was quoted...in various articles in the magazine. Kinda sad in a way. Kinda irritating too. :ph34r: