Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things Learned

AFDAVIS1

I would sure love to know more about the simple things ya'll have learned about revolver. I have started competing again in revolver, this time with a 625 and I learned alot of stuff today. One, a demooner can remoon very easily. Hold it upside down, place the moonclip on one arm. Put the bullet in place (bullet side up) and squezze the arms of the demooner together. The Jerry Miculek stocks work better on the N frame 625 then on the K frame. The k frame Miculek grip fits, though not very pretty, on an N-frame. Whenever I burned my finger on my K-frame barrel reloading I wondered why Jerry never discussed it in his video. Turns out you don't burn you middle finger on a 625, it's too big. Moonclips work sooooo much better than speedloaders. You knew that, I just didn't realize how much better. And finally right handed shooters who reload left handed should attack stages from left to right. Well gentlemen, comments. Don't be afraid to tell me what else you have learned even the silly stuff. I need info! :-) thanx Alan

We could go on forever with the "little things" we've learned, but will keep it short. I have learned I shoot a revolver better if I hold the grip like a limited gun instead of putting my thumb on the back of the cylinder wall (Watch Jerry Miculek, he shoots a Rev like a Ltd gun) I learned a slick trigger and fiber optic front are a must if you wanna be competitive. Buy Jerry Miculeks Trigger Job video and do what he says and you'll end up with a decent revolver, guaranteed. I also learned Slide Glide DOES work in the guts of a revolver, use a brush and give everything a good gooping and it will feel ohhh soooo much better. I've also learned (as many have) that if you use the "Shoot The Moon" holders, put 2 rounds in the holder, so they stick out further (thus making reloads a little faster. Enough for now.

Just got back from Area 5, couple of tips.

1. Always check the screw that holds your cylinder in during the match. It will vibrate loose and when you do a reload, you push the cylinder in the dirt.

2. I wear a glove a my right hand(I am left handed) to prevent me from burning my hand on the reloads.

3. Ditto on the fiber optics. I also shoot ghost ring sights on all my revolvers it works for me.

4. Shoot your own match. Most of the guys out there have never shot IPSC with a revolver, it is a totally different game. What might work for a guy with 20 in the mag might not work for you shooting limited 6.

5. Welcome to the club, have fun.

Most importantly - You have SIX shots > make them count. :huh:

Picking up shots is not a good thing. <_< = extra reload...

"lost brass" matches with a moon clip aren't really "lost" :D

The world is not "revolver friendly." :angry:

Your friends will think you're nuts at first...later they will think you're cool if you stick with it and whip them at the range. ;) The guy that gives you the most grief can't shoot one.

If it were easy....there'd be more of us B)

Some quick thoughts:

The larger the caliber the quicker the reload, .45s are very forgiving.

Practice your reload until it is second nature, any position any enviroment. (Also a hail stone under the star can really mess up a stage)

The best grip (or stock) is what works for you.

Get the best moonclips you can, and keep them straight.

A smooth clean trigger pull is vastly more inportant than a light one.

Rhythm is everything.

Do everything you can as smooth as possible, speed will come from that.

You can't miss fast enough to Win!

Just some random thoughts.

Your friends will think you're nuts at first...later they will think you're cool if you stick with it and whip them at the range. ;)  The guy that gives you the most grief can't shoot one.

If it were easy....there'd be more of us B)

Alan shoots with us. We don't think he's crazy. We know it. :P:lol: He makes the revolver look pretty nice.

Jerry makes it look easy. My squad at the American Handgunner shot right behind the revolver guys one year. Between Jerry and Bud Bond, I wanted to shoot revolver right then and there. :wub: My husband has more sense than me and pointed out that Jerry is TGO of revolver shooting. After watching him in the shoot-off with Bud...Let's just say it would take an awful lot of guts to shoot revolver at A4. :)

Liota

Make sure your moonclips are not bent before they go into your holders. If your charge holes aren't chamfered, do it, especially in the 10mm/40 revolvers. If you are used to shooting an auto in IPSC and are trying revolver, most of the time, you can't shoot the targets in the same manner you would an auto meaning, be creative.

If anyone gives you flak for being a wheelgunner, especially those of us with moonclip guns, remind them:

1) I don't loose any brass

2) I get twice the range time for the same match fee

Some things I learned about ICROE at my first IRC last weekend.

Its not IPSC/USPSA, accuracy is everything, A's and x's count, its all straight time, being speedy and sloppy won't cut it.

Don't try to keep up with Jerry, can't be done. The match totals are straight time and Jerry shot it in 196 and change, Vic Picket in second was 243, that's 80%! Most of the rest of us in the 300-500 range.

The match was great fun, excellent prize's and I will be back next year. If you have a revolver you should go.

I consider myself a VERY solid B Limited shooter, but shooting revolver competitively is something totally different than just picking up a pistol like most people and just blasting away. To be competitive with revolver takes TIME, PATIENCE and PRACTICE. I get so frustrated with my progress, but I keep telling myself that the longer I keep doing this, the better I wil get, as long as I keep up my routine. I dry-fire every day for at least 15 minutes and do reload practice for about 15 minutes EVERY day. Don't stare at the clock and count off 15 minutes, then quit, do it until you think your satisfied you've done your best for the day, that's the best advice I can give.

3/4:

Actually, I ROCK with my revolver, but to the untrained eye it appears as though I rock with my open pistol, lol.

Seriously, I think there is a perception and an expectation of "speed" in the other divisions (especially open) that doesn't exist in revolver division. At times that need for speed really hinders my ability to maximize my potential (shooting open and limited). OTOH, I have no expectation of speed when I shoot a revolver and my mind set changes from one of, "I have to go fast" (open mentality), to one of "I am just going to shoot my best and the speed will be there" (revolver mentality). Now that I am shooting a revolver again, I think my mind set will revert to what it was 20 years ago and I will improve in the other divisions.

I also learned Slide Glide DOES work in the guts of a revolver, use a brush and give everything a good gooping ......

Might want to not goop the boss pin the hammer pivots on or the sides of the hammer. If you use comp springs (reduced power) you don't want to reduce the hammer force by lube drag. Use FP-10 on the hammer pivot surfaces and Slide Glide on everything else.