Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you Remove Broken Shell from AR15 Chamber

You can try a 40 cal brush, push it up into the case and then try to pull it out, sometimes the bristles will get a good bite when you change directions and pull it out. Precisely why you shouldn't reverse directions IN the bore.

R.S.

Was this a handload, re-manufactured or factory load? I have been shooting AR platform rifles for quite a while and have never had a case separation (but I do keep a tool in my kit).

From what I have seen in the field case head separations typically happen from;

Trying to get too many reloads on a case and/or defective brass.

Impropper rifle chamber headspace.

Impropper cartridge size headspace.

A little detective work may be in order to be sure this won't happen again.

Ken

So this is how I lost a good barrel after 7 rounds. In the end, and after pounding the living crap out of the barrel, tossed it and got the barrel that's in my 18" rifle now. All things considered, it was a good experience. There was nothing that was going to remove a case in this instance, but I did pick up a 24" long brass rod at 5mm diameter. :D

Rich

This was my first ever broken shell of any kind. 14 years of pistol and maybe 8 years of rifle shooting.

It just so happened that it was while shooting a new load. :rolleyes: 25 gr RL15, 75 FMJBT Privi Partizan, CCIBR and Scharch brass (1x fired LC). 2800+ fps out of a 16".

I'm blaming it on the load. I've dialed it down to 24.5 grains.

2800 in a 16" w/75 gr bullet?! I'd think that you'd need to dial your load down a lot more than that. That sounds like a hot load. I chrono'd some Black Hills 55 gr. remanufactured loads at about that velocity or a little less. Getting that with a 20 gr. heavier bullet just seems like you're pushing the envelope a bit.