Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 acp Headstamp Problem

nhglyn

The local LEOs finished their qualifications and left all this once fired 45 acp brass (400+ pieces), so I picked it up. Got to keep the range clean, right?

Cleaned, inspected, lubed and tried to run through my 550. Deprimed OK but new primer (Winchester Large Pistol) will not insert into primer pocket, on any of them. Headstamp says "Federal", "45 Auto", and "NT" on it. Are these military primer pockets that need to be swaged? Or, must you use a smaller size primer for these?

Any information or suggestions appreciated.

Small primers are not the answer. NT on the federal brass is a military crimp that needs to be swaged out.

The local LEOs finished their qualifications and left all this once fired 45 acp brass (400+ pieces), so I picked it up. Got to keep the range clean, right?

Cleaned, inspected, lubed and tried to run through my 550. Deprimed OK but new primer (Winchester Large Pistol) will not insert into primer pocket, on any of them. Headstamp says "Federal", "45 Auto", and "NT" on it. Are these military primer pockets that need to be swaged? Or, must you use a smaller size primer for these?

Any information or suggestions appreciated.

I'm guessing this is what you have:

American Eagle 45 Auto 45 Auto 230gr Total Metal Jacket (Per 50)

Load number: AE45N1 Caliber:45 Auto Bullet weight: 230 grain, 14.90 grams Primer number: 205Toxic Metal Free (TMF*) Bullet Type: Toxic Metal Jacket (TMJ**) Usage: Target shooting, training, practice * TMF Primers are lead free ** TMJ bullet jackets completely encase the lead core and elimina{more}. . .

All Federal "clean" type rounds use the same primer the 205TMF, which Federal classifies as a small rifle primer. Compare the brass to any 9 or 40 round that you have and see if the primers are the small size.

Bruce