Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! I finally got my gun....

cheers623

Hey guys,

I finally got the pistol from my FFL. It is a an Infinity 38super. Well, I decided I would like to shoot 38supercomp and while I was waiting for the the gun to come, I did my research, bought 1000 pieces of new Starline 38supercomp brass, bought a new Aftec 38supercomp extractor, and cooked up a few test loads for the gun. So, I get the gun home on my bench to detail strip and discover it has the IBS (interchangeable breech face system) NOT irritable bowel syndrome!!!! Anyway, the IBS system apparently is machined such that you CANNOT tension the extractor enough to get a grip on Starline 38supercomp rims. I have called and left a message at Infinity about swapping out the breechface but wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge about this issue. Is swapping out the breechface the only good solution to my dilemma? The guy who sold me the gun had no idea the gun was built this way when he sold it so I did not anticipate this wrinkle. Nevertheless, I feel like a jackass. I have also noticed that the few pieces of 38 super brass I have are SHORTHER in length than the starline 38 supercomp brass I have on hand. Is this also going to cause a problem with headspacing? If so, should i just ditch the 1000 pieces of supercomp brass and just keep the gun setup in 38 super? Please help me out!!!!! I wanna play with my new OPEN gun.......whaaaaaaaa.

Cheers623

DVC

I have a SV, it is a 38 super slide, with a reg extractor (non-aftec) and it works with super and supercomp, i also have a 9mm barrel/setup and that also works without any issues..my slide is also the interchangeable breechface type. you might want to check with Millenium Custom in Florida and see if he knows more..You may just want to run a regular SV extractor..I hope this helps

Suggestion, buy extra breach face as a spare just in case you run into any problem. We had a few shooters in my

local club that had problem with the BREACH FACE. If I were you, swap the slide into an STI with an aftec extractor. I would have two SET UP. First, use the SUPERCOMP brass for matches with a tuned extractor. Second, have a 38 super brass and extractor for practice. Some shooters in our club do run into hicubbs with a supercomp/ 38super extractor. I hate it when my gun jamms because it takes away the SHOOTING part and just kills my stage time. Eliminate equipment failure and TRAIN, TRAIN , TRAIN your Technique.. Good luck!!

You can replace the breachface yourself. Use the 9mm breachface for Supercomp. Breachfaces are available at Speed Shooters Int. here:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=SVBF

Buy several of the special hollow mounting screws. Use a thread locking compound and install following these instructions:

http://sviguns.com/technical/breechface.html

Check the mounting screw for tightness each time you clean the gun and before each match.

Load up some supercomp and try it just the way the gun is. You may be in for a good suprise.----------Larry

+1

Some super guns shoot supercomp as well. I'll take the supercomp brass if you decide to let them go ;)

I have an open gun with the same breachface as yours and a standard ed brown extractor and I ran supercomp brass in it for years without any problems. Of course the extractor has to be setup correctly but that is the case with any gun :)