Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Magazines

RangerTrace

I just received three STI magazines for my Eagle in 38 Super, which gives me a total of 4. I loaded the magazines to capacity and cycled the live rounds through the pistol to test for function. With Magtech ammo they all cycled perfectly, but 2 of them did not lock the slide back.

I then tried a box of WWB with a sort of semi wadcutter bullet. I could only load about 5 in the magazines before they would jam up inside the tube! I suspect bad ammo, but I'm very inexperienced with STIs. However, the same ammo would work fine in my SS mags in my CQB.

Any ideas?

BTW, this will be a duty gun not a game gun.

Edited by rangertrace

Duty gun or game gun it has to be 100% reliable right? I would suggest some grams springs and followers. My opinion is that the follower is new and binding up a little and not going all the way up to lock the slide back. As far as the jam I'm not exactly sure but you might have a bur or something in the tube and little time in the tumbler might fix that. If its just with one ammo then...I'm not sure unless its just that ammo.

one of the mag tuners will be along shortly to help you out I'm sure.

No such thing as Winchester white box 38 super SWC's. Some body sold you reloads of who knows what specification. I'd pass on the Grams they'll lock the slide back all right but usually with a round or two left in the mag unless you fit the followers. The first issue is probably just a little slag on the follower. The second is probably ammo.

For a duty gun get the magazines tuned, no way would I carry a 2011 type with ANY brand of magazines in it that aren't tuned. The magazines just aren't consistent enough.

For a duty gun get the magazines tuned, no way would I carry a 2011 type with ANY brand of magazines in it that aren't tuned. The magazines just aren't consistent enough.

It will be shot a lot before I actually carry it at work. I have plenty of other "duty" guns. I would just like to get the magazines "right" without spending a lot of money. I've already got $2,300 tied up with it and 4 magazines. The gun was tuned and Chromed by Virgil Tripp. The mags are stock STI and compared to his Cobramags.....they are pretty rough.

The gun is only as good as the magazines that feed it, without one or the other right it is just a snazzy belt weight or a really poor club. The vast majority of the damage to your pocketbook has taken place already, finish the rest out.

I just received three STI magazines for my Eagle in 38 Super, which gives me a total of 4. I loaded the magazines to capacity and cycled the live rounds through the pistol to test for function. With Magtech ammo they all cycled perfectly, but 2 of them did not lock the slide back.

I then tried a box of WWB with a sort of semi wadcutter bullet. I could only load about 5 in the magazines before they would jam up inside the tube! I suspect bad ammo, but I'm very inexperienced with STIs. However, the same ammo would work fine in my SS mags in my CQB.

Any ideas?

BTW, this will be a duty gun not a game gun.

Hi rangertrace,

I would suspect the semi wadcutter ammo is too long for the mag tube, and this is why it jammed in the mag where the "Magtech" ammo did not. Changing the spring and follower to any thing else will not fix a "too long" of ammo problem. If you do decide to change to the Grams Follower Kit, use Part # FKS-11, as is for now. You can cut up to 2 coils off if using them in a "126" tube, but this will only need to be done for capacity reasons. The follower is designed to be tuned for slide lock operation. There are many threads and posts about slide lock and mag function issues here, but I would be happy to discuss any of your magazine issues by phone if you want to call me direct.

Edited by TeamGE

I carry a STI 5.0 Tactical 9mm on duty. Out of 8 factory STI mags I sent 1 back because the feed lips were not right, and Dawson Precision replaced it. No other problems with any of the rest of them. I have probably shot 10,000 rounds out of those mags with 2 9mm 2011s. I have no problem carrying them on duty, as long as they have been well tested.

Hi rangertrace,

I would suspect the semi wadcutter ammo is too long for the mag tube, and this is why it jammed in the mag where the "Magtech" ammo did not. Changing the spring and follower to any thing else will not fix a "too long" of ammo problem. If you do decide to change to the Grams Follower Kit, use Part # FKS-11, as is for now. You can cut up to 2 coils off if using them in a "126" tube, but this will only need to be done for capacity reasons. The follower is designed to be tuned for slide lock operation. There are many threads and posts about slide lock and mag function issues here, but I would be happy to discuss any of your magazine issues by phone if you want to call me direct.

Thanks for your response. I noticed on the Brazos Custom site that he sells 11 coil kits for the shorter tubes. Would that one be acceptable? I would like a more reliable and more durable follower/spring for duty use. I don't feel comfortable cutting coils myself and I would rather someone else "fit" the followers. I'm a certified 1911 armorer....but when I have access to the pros, I would rather have the pros do the fitting.

Hi rangertrace,

Thanks for your response. I noticed on the Brazos Custom site that he sells 11 coil kits for the shorter tubes. Would that one be acceptable? I would like a more reliable and more durable follower/spring for duty use. I don't feel comfortable cutting coils myself and I would rather someone else "fit" the followers. I'm a certified 1911 armorer....but when I have access to the pros, I would rather have the pros do the fitting.

My FKS-11 kit is 11 coils long, (on my website also) and as I stated you can use them "as is" without cutting coils. It is usually not needed for function, but it will decrease capacity by one or two. It is just a lot of extra spring to get into the mag and get the base pad on at the same time, I can precut them for you if you want, if you order them from me directly. If you are having Brazos do the installation, then they will certainly get the job done for you. Call me for full details and suggestions.

My FKS-11 kit is 11 coils long, (on my website also) and as I stated you can use them "as is" without cutting coils. It is usually not needed for function, but it will decrease capacity by one or two. It is just a lot of extra spring to get into the mag and get the base pad on at the same time, I can precut them for you if you want, if you order them from me directly. If you are having Brazos do the installation, then they will certainly get the job done for you. Call me for full details and suggestions.

Thanks again, I looked at your site a little too fast and missed the FKS-11 the first time. I will give you a call today.

OK here is another symptom, please diagnose the problem.

I qualified with this pistol on Monday. All four magazines worked fed perfectly with Magtech ammo. The pistol was flawless. Only one of the magazines locked the slide back. Honestly, I can live with that, as long as the mags feed well.

The STI pistols are awesome. The stock STI mags are not so good. If I had $500.00 lying around, I would buy 4 tuned mags from Brazos. I've been jacking with these things since I got home. Get this......

ALL of the stock sti mags feed magtech 100%.

With 3 of them...When you load Silvertips, on about the 5-7th round, the follower/round gets in a bind and you can shake the bullets ouf of the tube. You then have to bang it around or use something to pry the follower and one remaining silvertip out of the tube.

HOWEVER.....................if I load 1 magtech round and then 16 silvertips it appears the magazine will function. WTF!! I'm sick of messing with it.

If this was a game gun, it wouldn't be a big deal. But, since plan to carry it at work,,,I want it to work 100%. I don't give a darn about the slide locking back. I want it to load and feed EVERY time. I will probably buy one Brazos mag a month for the next several months to keep the Wife off my buttocks!!

Just a thought but if you have a stock STI gun and are running stock magazines with stock pads and arnt using extra capacity aftermarket springs followers pads etc and you are shooting factory Winchester ammo and it isnt working your problem is with STI not aftermarket doodads. I would contact them before I spent money on "tuning". Tuning is when you are trying to do something the factory didnt intend like getting 21 rounds in a 18 round 40 mag, or getting long loaded over Sammi spec 9mm ammo to run. If your gun and mags are unmolested I'd be willing to bet STI will have you up and running for no more than the cost off shipping. Or the drive over.