Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REDDING COMP SEATING DIE & 650 INCONSISTANT

Hey everyone, New guy looking for some help?

I checked the 650 tips and tricks forum and the search funcgtion but couldn't find anything that helped.

I'm having trouble getting consistant oal with my RCSD in my 650 using winchester 180gr. JHP in .40. I'm loading for my limited G35 to a oal of 1.136 but I'm getting variations from 1-6 thousandths on each cycle. I'm setting up and taking my measurments with cases in all the stations, which I learned from the tips and tricks but still can't get this thing to seat consistantly.

Any help before I pull all my hair out would be greatly appreciated.

That is completely normal and to be expected. The difference is being caused by inconsistency in the shape of the bullet. Measure them with a comparator and they will be extremely uniform.

Adjust your OAL so that the longest rounds fit the magazines and call it a day, that is as good as you will do with everyday bullets.

Thad

If you will wait until your press has all stations full and you have cranked it through a couple of rounds - With All Stations Already Full - the OAL will settle down and be pretty consistent. Don't pull the rounds to measure them but wait until they are dropped into the loaded tray (catch them as they drop into the loading tray that is) and THEN measure them. All with be good with your world at that point... :cheers:

Realize you are loading high volume pistol ammo and not benchrest 1000 yard rifle. Small variations just don't matter.

Thad

If you will wait until your press has all stations full and you have cranked it through a couple of rounds - With All Stations Already Full - the OAL will settle down and be pretty consistent. Don't pull the rounds to measure them but wait until they are dropped into the loaded tray (catch them as they drop into the loading tray that is) and THEN measure them. All with be good with your world at that point... :cheers:

Realize you are loading high volume pistol ammo and not benchrest 1000 yard rifle. Small variations just don't matter.

Thanks Merlin, I actually did this and noticed the rounds to be more consistant. I still had a variation on groups that was between .003-.004., but not nearly as frequent. I'm curious if the gap will close using higher quality bullets, and does the variation have a noticable neg. effect on accuracy?

Check out the DIE HOLDER as you press the the bullet. Mine us to move!! Someone in this forum

sells a die holder that are tighter and wont move.

I'll check but as I remember it was pretty still.

Oldman.....with range brass you should be happy with +/- .005 variation. I am running Redding dies with no Adj. seater and I am getting .001 with same headstamp brass.....some are a little more, but using the same headstamp makes a big difference.....

Good luck,

DougC

I think what your finding in your variances is the differnce between measuring at the ogive where I believe the redding die engages the bullet and when you measure the OAL at the tip. If you had an adaptor that you slipped over the loaded round that engaged the bullet at the same point the seating die does your measurements would most likely be more consistant.

Gear_Stoney_Point_OAL_interiorWEB1.jpg

Gear_Stoney_Point_DualCompWEB2.jpg

does the variation have a noticable neg. effect on accuracy?

Absolutely none whatsoever. In a pistol, a .003-.004 variance in OAL would be the last in the long line of variables that affect accuracy. At the top of the list is the quality and consistency of the bullet, and its "relationship" to your pistol's barrel.

be