Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suddenly burned out

wooddog

I hit that burnout point. Between never having time to practice, working when all the good paper matches were, and the component price drive, I couldn't justify staying in the sport. Now my schedule has changed, and I have weekends off. I am going to try to buy some components get the Dillon fired up and start a practice regiment.

I eventually just got tired of shooting crappy. Then I swithced guns to shoot 9X19, so I can shoot more for less. But the gun was a whole new learning curve. I figured that there is no reason to waste bullets and entry fees if I can't practice and shoot crappy. So we will see if this changes.

• 3 weeks later...
Another thing is...direction.

It's good to have a goal to work towards. And, when you approach a goal, it is important to have another goal ready to go.

It is real easy to flounder. A goal will give you direction.

After shooting the first stage last weekend I could tell my mind wasn't in the game. I'm not sure it's burnout or was just a "day". I've been working hard to achieve a goal so this post hit home. Time for a new goal. Thanks, Flex

I was burned out towards the end of last year and on into this spring. I kept shooting anyway. Oddly, the less I cared about it, the better I did at the match. I started playing different games and that helped me quite a bit. Shooting the same stuff over and over gets pretty boring for me.

Finally, I did quit for about a month and loaded a whole seasons worth of ammo during that time. It helped me find the desire again.

One thing I have found that leads to burnout is boredom. If you get in too much of a rut, always practicing the same things, it becomes tiresome and boring (personality type thing) Vary your practices, think up new drills...or just have fun. After awhile it can become easy just doing the same routine. If you only practice IPSC/IDPA when you get to the range, then pack up and go home. Maybe it's time to try something a bit different. Pull out the .22 and try some long range shots or maybe trap/skeet.

We sometimes forget in our drive to compete and improve, that shooting in itself is just so much fun!

One thing I have found that leads to burnout is boredom. If you get in too much of a rut, always practicing the same things, it becomes tiresome and boring (personality type thing) Vary your practices, think up new drills...or just have fun. After awhile it can become easy just doing the same routine. If you only practice IPSC/IDPA when you get to the range, then pack up and go home. Maybe it's time to try something a bit different. Pull out the .22 and try some long range shots or maybe trap/skeet.

We sometimes forget in our drive to compete and improve, that shooting in itself is just so much fun!

That's so very true, as a matter of fact last week I had to sight in a 22 rifle that I had changed scopes on. After shooting a hundred or so rounds I remembered how much fun it was just to plink..

For the first time I am going to say I think I am lucky to be in the northeast. I find I get a little of the burned out feeling near the end of the summer and then bird and deer hunting season comes along and the pistols get put away. That gives me a good two months of not really having to think about cometetive shooting which does WONDERS for your mental health. Then comes the snow which is the perfect way to get the desire buring again. By spring time I have been dryfiring indoors for so long I can not wait to get outside and shoot a match in shorts! :cheers:

Try taking a little break and do something that gets your mind off of shooting your pistols. Maybe even try a different shooting sport like trap or high power. That way you give your mind a rest and still get some trigger time which can not hurt. Good luck!

I hit burnout the end of the '07 season- it seemed that every match I showed up to, whether asked to RO or not, I always ended up with the timer, scoresheets, setting up, and so on- I have a really tough work ethic....and I shoot revolver, so all my ammo is together before going to the match... I usually spend about 15 seconds of my on-deck time to myself, grabbing ammo and heading for the start position, aside from that, I am working doing something. It was so bad that I almost considered taking a year off from competition (not that I am super competitive or anything, just tired...).

I backed off a little this year, only going to my home club matches (non-sanctioned) where I got top revo for the year, and one or two USPSA matches per month- and now I enjoy shooting again, even though I am still downrange 99% of the time doing something.

The non-USPSA matches are just so much fun to shoot that I am back to learning with each shot, and I am having as much fun shooting sanctioned matches (even when I am working them) as I did when I first started. It's amazing what backing off a little will do for you.

I LOVE just blasting away with the $14 (now) box of Wally world .22 (bulk pack). Shoot and shoot and shoot, without worrying about cost- just daylight.

Luckily enough, my home club shoots all winter long (outside in the Northeast- that's practical!), mostly on steel, and we have an indoor public range that has sanctioned matches once per month that is 15 minutes from home- so I can still get my work on, but have fun without burning up....or out.

It's also fun too (as stated above) to try out other things, I found I am rather good at trap, but horrendous (for now) at Skeet....so I'll have to bust out the shotty this winter and break some clays!

After spending 10 years in the USMC 1961-1971 (retired)

I started out shooting pistol (PPC) in the early 1970's.

In the early 1980's I switched to High power rifle .

In the late 1980's I switched to Cowboy Action shooting

I still shoot CAS, when the weather is nice

I have begun to gather the equipment to shoot IDPA-- Glock 35 Etc

At 66 years old I won't be able to run with the "kids", but I like shooting and I do it for me.

Cold Damp Etc is the time for me to reload, Sunny, warm Is the time for me to shoot.

A couple of days a week I load up several different loads, 6 to 18 Rd of each load, and head to the range to try them out, weather premiting.

I shoot because I enjoy it. When it become fun no longer I just take a break. sometimes a week, sometimes a month, a couple of times even longer.

The changes were not abrupt. I would start with shooting a different type of match, then gradually ( maybe over a year or even two) I would make the total switch.

When I had a mind set change from needing to win to just having fun. The shooting sport became a joy. Then you can laugh with everyone else at your own mistakes and laugh at theirs.

Beside it gets to a point that where do you put that monthly trophy and you only start keeping the big ones.

Edited by Beans

I was getting bored with open so I switched to SS, even at our monthly steel matches.

It's really got my interest back up to high level. Almost having to re-learn the basics.

I am considering that; I have a custom buit SS that doesn't have a 1,000 rounds through it!

Get back to the basics! :cheers:

FM