Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginning on used rl1050?

I've got an opportunity to pick up a never used rl1050 for around $900 w/o dies. The owner bought it, set it up and never used it. He wants to sell it and buy a 650. I've never reloaded so this would be my first press. Initially, I'd be loading 9mm. Eventually, I could see expansion into .45, .38, .223 and who knows what other rifle calibers.

My question is this...at that price, is it worth getting the 1050 and struggling through the learning process with 9mm. Then picking up a 550 or 650 later to load the less frequent calibers? Or am I better off just investing that money into a 650 setup from the start.

At this point, I'm shooting less than 1k rounds of 9mm a month. All my buddies that shoot also shoot 9mm, so I might be nice and let them use it as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

I've got an opportunity to pick up a never used rl1050 for around $900 w/o dies. The owner bought it, set it up and never used it. He wants to sell it and buy a 650. I've never reloaded so this would be my first press. Initially, I'd be loading 9mm. Eventually, I could see expansion into .45, .38, .223 and who knows what other rifle calibers.

My question is this...at that price, is it worth getting the 1050 and struggling through the learning process with 9mm. Then picking up a 550 or 650 later to load the less frequent calibers? Or am I better off just investing that money into a 650 setup from the start.

At this point, I'm shooting less than 1k rounds of 9mm a month. All my buddies that shoot also shoot 9mm, so I might be nice and let them use it as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

The RL IMO is fantastic. It is not as easy to change calibers as the other you mentioned. For a thousand rounds a month a little SDB would be perfect IF you are just loading one caliber.... If you don't buy the 1050 there are those on this Forum who would LOVE to have it. Me # 1 among them....

Thanks,

Jeff

The RL IMO is fantastic. It is not as easy to change calibers as the other you mentioned. For a thousand rounds a month a little SDB would be perfect IF you are just loading one caliber.... If you don't buy the 1050 there are those on this Forum who would LOVE to have it. Me # 1 among them....

No, don't tell Merlin. He is hoarding all of the RL1050's.

Hello: The RL 1050 is a great press. It may not be the best to learn on but it will do all that you ask of it if you take the time to learn the press. Caliber conversions are little pricey if you get another toolhead etc. If you decide to pass on it let me know so I can get one closer to Merlins 1050 count ;-) Thanks, Eric

GET THE PRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a no brainer at that price. If you have a bud who has experience with one and can help you get started/explain what's happening, then all the better.

As someone mentioned, you can always sell it for much more than you paid for it. You can also get a SDB or a 550 in addition to learn on and sell those when you feel ready for the 1050.

I've got 2 of these and wouldn't consider loading on any other machine.

the 1050 would be a sound choice to load the ammo you shoot most often.

A smaller press that's easier to convert would be a great backup instead of converting it frequently.