Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tri-glide In An Sti

Jack Suber

I was hoping someone could give me some guidance here. I have a Tri-Glide kit (it says for Hi-cap gun) that I have been trying to install on an STI Edge. When istalled without the slide, it seems to function OK. However, when I out the slide on and rack the slide, I cannot squeeze the trigger and cause the hammer to drop. It is frozen. After it gets stuck, I can take the slide off and it is still stuck. It appears that the disconnector tab on the sear spring is getting pinned underneath the disconnector. Again this only happens when the slide is installed and it is racked. I have noticed that the disconnector that came with the kit has a very small face or shoe that rides on the trigger bow. Every other disconnector that I have seen on a STI has a very large face or shoe that contacts the trigger bow. Is it possible that I have a disconnector for a single stack? I would appreciate any thoughts/ ideas. Thanks.

Jack

Jack,

I can offer one quick item to check ...

Check the diameter of the hole in the frame and the diameter of the disconnector that protrudes through the frame. When the Tri-glides first came out there were a few compatibility issues that required some frame holes to be reamed slightly for clearance. The original Tri-glide disconnectors may have been slightly larger than other brands.

Good Luck,

Leo

Leo,

Would it not be better to polish the disconnector instead of modifying the frame? I don't know if I want to open the disconnector whole up to fit a disconnector.

Lynn,

That might be something I overlooked. I do know that it is fully extended into the pistol (so the trigger shoe can be installed). I was going on the assumption that since I was able to drop the hammer with the slide off that it would work with the slide on. I will try it the screw adjusted. Thanks.

Jack

I posted about this same problems months ago. It seems as though the tri-glide trigger bows are a little long. Why I have no idea, but I had about 6-8 that would do just as you described. I actually went away from the tri-glide trigger and kept everything else. You can still use the interchangable SV trigger, just the normal Ti one. Otherwise the only way I saw to fix the problem was to remove metal from the back of the sear so there was enough clearance for the disconnect to pop back up without getting caught on the sear.

Jack,

The situation is that, when there is a problem, often it is a poorly drilled/reamed tunnel in the frame. I believe that SV actually cuts more clearance in their tunnels as most problems occur in STI frames. If you notice that the hole is cleanly drilled (without visible tool marks) don't mess with it and check the disconnector for evidence of binding. Unfortunately, the disconnectors are often as hard as "woodpecker lips".

Conceptually, I agree with your belief in modifying the least expensive part though.

Leo

before you put your slide on, check and make sure the spring tab isnt already under the disconnect, when you fire without the slide on there might be enough travel in the disconnect to allow the spring to go under and it will to fire with the slide off because there is nothing on top to jam the diconnect . put everything together, including the slide on and then fire it. i've put several triglides in STI's and have had no problem. there is nothing wrong with the back of your sear, if the trigger will set you dont need to take metal off

I am pretty convinced that the Tri-glide disconnector IS too short. Compared to the Ed Brown that is in the pistol now, it appears to be "almost" (not quite that much) a 16th of an inch shorter that the Ed Brown. Because of that difference, the disconnector leaf on the leaf spring is getting under the disconnector. I messed with it last night and it is not jamming the disconnector anymore, but it is snagging it enough to make it stick a little. The trigger does work with the Ed Brown disconnector. So that leads into my next question:

What does the Tri-Glide disconnector offer that is better than others? It does not have a different contact surface than other disconnectors (i.e. the little ball bearing). So, why is it supposed to be better?

From what I understand, the Tri-glide system gains its benefits from having the ball bearing on contact surfaces. The only other ball bearing is on the leaf spring on the disconnector leaf. When mine is installed, I really don't think the bearing is contacting the disconnector (it doesn't appear to). So, I am wondering if I am really getting any benefit out of this.

When I install the trigger with the Ed Brown disconnector and the Tri-Glide spring, it doesn't quite feel right. No matter how much I adjust it, the trigger break is not clean (there is a little snag) and it takes a lot of trigger movement before it resets. With my leaf spring, it works OK though there is really not a big difference in feel than with all standard parts (this is frustrating because I have played with some tri-glide installed pistols and the triggers were sweet). I also wonder if some of the dimensions of my Edge are just different enough to make things a little out of sync. For example, my grip safety (S&A Hi-grip) is deactivated (not pinned). No matter how far I bend the Tri-glide grip safety spring outward, it applies absolutely no pressure to the grip safety. So, the safety just flops around. I am scared to bend the spring anymore because I am worried it will break.

So, I guess I am going to bag the whole thing unless someone else has any other suggestions? Thanks for the replies.

Jack

Like PaulW I got 3 of the triglides with a long trigger bow. The length is 1.770"on the triglide triger bow, the length of the standard SVI bows is 1.715" (STI 1.710"). When I put the two parts on a comparitor the front of the triglide trigerbow is angled back, the standard is square. I checked with Brownells and consensous was that the bow was indeed to long. I asked if it would be alright for me to reform the bow, to square it it up, and Brownells said they would still take it back if that failed to correct the problem. After I squared them up and got the length down to around 1.715" they worked fine.

I personally have the triglides on two STI guns and one SVI gun. All had the same problem and the same fix. I tried to asked SVI about the problem and never got a response from them.

I swapped out parts one day from the triglide with standard parts and to me the titanium spring is the trick part of the triglide system.